We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HDMI & Sky HD +

LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

My Ordinary Sky+ box went kaputt and Sky have replaced this with a Sky HD+ box (second-hand) - apparently ordinary Sky+ boxes are no longer used by Sky. I do not subscribe to Sky HD but it occurred to me that perhaps I could change my connections between TV & Sky box using HDMI and getting rid of Scart connections with which I am having some problems. I then find that the Sky HD+ box does not have a HDMI socket. I thought this was absolutely necessary for HD to receive the digital signal. If this is a Sky HD+ box how does it get round this aspect?

Like this post
tb64

Likes # 0

As the box is a replacement for a standard box has the HDMI port been disabled/removed?

I haven't heard on here anyone else finding this situation.

Maybe it's to stop the replacement boxes being given away to others to use as a free FREESAT box.

Strange though as you'd think that Sky would hope that, as you now have an HD box, you would upgrade your channels for the HD pack. ????

Like this post
LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

Thanks for your response. There is a socket but I think this is just DVI and my understanding is that although you can get an adapter, this will not convert an analogue signal into a digital one which is required for HD.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Like this post
tb64

Likes # 0

There' definitely no DVI on the back.

(As per pic linked above)

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

All Sky+HD boxes come with HDMI as standard. All HDMI connections on Sky+HD boxes look the same and are identical in appearance to the HDMI found on TV's, the HDMI lead has two male connectors and both ends look identical.

You will be able to receive and watch free HD channels such as BBC1, BBCHD and ITV1. These are called FTA (Free To Air) channels. Some others are FTV (Free to View) and are encrypted so you need a valid Sky Viewing Card but the channels are free. A typical example is http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/category.php?cat_id=153&gclid=CM6r856wmakCFQod4Qodrz9KtQ

Like this post
LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

Very sorry for delay in responding - been away. There certainly is no HDMI socket but what I have referred to as DVI is, after further investigation, a RS232 socket. Is this the same as DVI or RCA? Incidentally, the Sky+HD box is Amstrad, if this matters.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

As others have said all Sky HD boxes have a HDMI connection.

You have said it an Amstrad can you give the model number.

Like this post
tb64

Likes # 0

OP,

Is it definitely an HD box you have been given as a replacement?

Like this post
LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

Thanks bremner & tb64. I have just managed to drag out my unit with the electrical appliances on board and with the aid of a magnifying glass have established that the model is Amstrad DRX 280. I have since Googled this and nowhere does it state that it is HD. In fact as there is reference to this model pre 2003, I assume it is NOT HD. In which case, why did Sky over the telephone and then the engineer both tell me it was HD because Sky were no longer installing ordinary Sky+ boxes. You can't believe a thing nowadays can you. Sorry to have posed the question in the circumstances and thanks to you both for pointing me in the right direction.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers