We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

DVD/VCR recorder, how good are they?

snowy30

Likes # 0

I have a big collection of old VHS tapes, the majority of them have films that I have recorded off the TV, and some of them are pre-recorded I bought in the past. A few months ago my VCR of 18yrs packed in I really loved that old machine - despite its age it still looked and played real good. It's completely dead! I tried to look for a PSU for it, which, to my knowledge, would be the cause. E-mailed Sanyo and of course, as expected, that part is discontinued.

Anyway, I've been looking at some VCR/DVD recorders, so I can transfer the films from tape to DVD. I needn't bother with a DVD/VCR recorder or a video player itself if it haven't been for little bits of classic television I managed to caught on tape that I'll know I can never find on DVD or through downloadable media.

Cheers.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

We've had an AKAI DVD/VCR machine for ages. You can Record/Tranfer either way and also from aerial/Cable/satellite like a normal recorder.

Always found AKAI machines excellent.

Not sure of what's available now but I wouldn't hesitate in buying one .

Like this post
Henry9000

Likes # 0

I've had a Panasonic DMR-ES30V that has been great for copying a lot of my old tapes from camcorders and TV onto DVD. Don't expect it to work on copy-protected tapes though. Also worth noting that it's picky about what DVDs will play, even DVD-RAMs that are the Panasonic speciality, so be careful if you intend to write to DVD on your computer - no problem with DVDs created on the unit itself. Also I'm disappointed that mine packed up yesterday! A few minutes on the net suggests that the problem is failed capacitors that are very difficult to replace. This fault seems to be common with these Panasonic machines. However I have had 5 trouble-free years.

Like this post
nutty norm

Likes # 0

I Have just bought a DVD panasonic recorder and i have been able to put most of my old VHS Tape on to DVD I Slipped up and bought some dvd+ dvds and had a lot of problem with , At the moment i have got some TDK DVD-ones which seem to work fine, i also have some pre-recorded proffesional VHS and have tried to record with out any success, so i think its just best to do the ones i took of the television many moons ago, i have got a two year warranty on the panasonic i am hoping by them i will have used up all ofthe VHS Tapes, Nutty norm

Like this post
brindly

Likes # 0

I have a TV card in my computer and have connected a scart to my freeview digi box and DVD/VCR player. I then use a comp connection from the scart to the computer and play the TV/tape/DVD on to hard drive then put it in to Pinnacle and edit and burn to DVD. Works great because I can connect almost anything with a comp port.My sony handicam works the same way.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July