We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Digital Changeover Advice

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi. I am in between areas for digital TV namely Anglia and Central.

Now the Anglia region has already been updated but parts of the Central area are not being changed over till September[it may be August].

Basically when The central upgrade starts and if I tune into that,Will I then loose my Anglian TV programs or will I receive the extra channels from Central including the ones that I already have.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Depends how good your aerial is.

If it can pick up both the Central and the Anglia transmitters you'll receive the programmes they transmit.

If it can't, you won't.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Really poor aerial but picks up good pictures from Anglia.

Only get about 12 channels mind you but all good pictures. I just wondered if I would pick up even more when the central area changes without loosing the ones that I have.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

buteman

"the Anglia region has already been updated"

Really! I live in Norwich and we don't get 'done' till later in the year. We are on the Tacolnston transmitter. Which transmitter are you getting Anglia from?

Re Aerials. We have an old 7 element aerial and get good reception on Analogue and Freeview. There are a number of Aerial companies around here who are trying to frighten people into getting new installations by advertising that you will lose all your reception unless you upgrade.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

BT.

I can assure you if you are picking up good signals at the moment you will pick up great digital signals with the same aerial.

The pictures are that good I can see aerial company's going bust.

Not sure what transmitter I get it from as there are a few.I stay in the Corby area and just followed updates for the regional updates.

I did get a letter in the other day which said with my Postcode I would be getting updated later this year and that was for central TV.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

BT.

Just tried this to find out my nearest transmitter.link text

Now it gives me as the nearest transmitter as Waltham and the dates for changeover are 17-8-2011 and the 31-8 2011.

As far as I know I was updated from the Anglia region but not sure how I would find out.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

buteman

You can usually tell which transmitter you are receiving from when you scan your Freeview box. On mine it tells me that I'm on the Tacolnston Transmitter.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

BT.

I don't have a box just the Freeview that comes with the TV.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

buteman

Should still identify the transmitter when you scan/rescan.

I have a Freeview+ box as well as the built in TV one and both show the transmitter details when you rescan.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

BT.

Nope just tried it just says checking for digital channels but no mention of from what Transmitter.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Sandy Heath transmitter has already had analogue switch-off. Other Anglian transmitters are broadcasting both digital and analogue at present. Sudbury switches off in July and, as stated earlier, Tacolneston in November. There are updates even before switch-off. It is possible that you are receiving some Freeview channels from a transmitter prior to analogue switch-off. Our area is the last to convert and I should not be able to receive Freeview according to the predictions of the website but I get all channels with only very occasional minor problems.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow