We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

TV surround sound or...............

Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Hi Over 20 years ago I set up two speakers from an old amplifier from the TV somehow, it was a Rotel Amp and I used two speakers that sat at the back of the room along with the TV Sound.

I was able to control the tones and volume on each speaker individually as each tone knob had a back and front tonal volume control for left and right. I think the amp could use two sets of speakers also but not to to sure now.

Its just got me thinking that I could do a similar thing now, an Amp to run a pair of speakers next to the TV say something like Wharfedale Diamond 10.SR Loudspeakers.

I want clarity not mind blowing speakers so if any one has any thoughts on this set-up rather than buy a fixed rig for around £250. Ok no Boom box but do I need one?

Not a lot of money I know but I just want to here whats said, its me ears not what they used to be.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

My ears are rapidly going the same way!

Last year I bought a set of wireless headphones for the TV and have found them excellent. The base (which also acts as a charger for the headphones) plugs into the TVs output and has a range of about 30 feet. The headphones have a volume control and built-in FM radio.

At last my wife doesn't get annoyed when I turn the volume up.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Great if you just want Stereo Sound. However if you want surround sound, most TV's do not pass Multi-Channel Audio via their outputs.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Hi ams4127 I have headphones, I just want to improve the sound out-put and clarity.

ßeta yes thats it in a nut shell Stereo Sound.

I was trying to find a cheaper way of doing it without having to pay for a Boom or Bass-box just a pair of decent speakers and suggestions on a Amp or speakers.

It should be easy to do as far as I can see as I have looked more into it since my last post.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Ex plorer Sorry, I misread your requirements. I thought you only wanted clarity. As ßeta pointed out headphones will only supply stereo and not surround sound.

I'm not really interested in surround sound while watching normal TV, which is why I love the clarity of the headphones. Playing a DVD is different; I just crank my surround system up high and frighten the dog!

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

ams4127 I was referring to the first sentence of what ßeta said. (Great if you just want Stereo Sound.) I think every one can read my mind;~)

I do want clarity and stereo will do fine just two speakers and an Amp.

I have Headphones, but want to improve the speaker performance from the TV.

I don't need a boom box Just two speakers and Amp. I am looking towards a NAD albeit one of the cheaper ones.

As for speakers not sure yet it appears to me that even at £400 surround sound system aren't cheap to me, and maybe not that good for the money. I may have to stretch my money a little further than £250 after surfing around.

To Be honest I have heard better all in one music systems for £400 than some of the cinema surround sound system going at the same price.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

I must admit I am lost with fitting up a couple of extra speakers to the TV a Panasonic its a TX-L42E30B it has 2 times 10 Watts speakers.

Input / Ouputs on TV. (Digital Audio out)(Audio In)(Audio Out)(2USB)(AV1)(Component)(3HDMI) (Ethernet)(PC).

I also want to purchase a Blue-ray player Panasonic DMP-BD75.

My preference is WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.0 speakers. 6 impedance, Peak Power Handling 100 watt Nominal Power 20 watt

I have read up on Powered speakers but I don't fancy plugging them into the Headphone Socket on the TV after reading some reports.

Do I need a receiver to connect it all up.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

If your talking AV Reciever, you may as well think about proper multi-channel sound. You won't be looking at a 100 quid to do the job.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

I have just passed on four Wharefdale Diamond 9's to my son as I found them to lack clarity. More a problem with my old ears I guess, but I found the Wharfedales rather poor.

I've replaced them with Bose 301's £250 for the front pair and Bose 201's for the rear £150 pair (Bose shop designer Outlet York). The sound is now perfect for my ears. These are powered by an Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver. I did keep the Wharfedale subwoofer 150 and centre speaker. My TV is also a Panasonic, TH-46PZ8B

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Personally, Onkyo TX-NR3008 matched up with Kef 3005WE speakers

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

I have decided to go with a Cambridge audio (1) amplifier but it has no tone controls.

The Cambridge(5)does but its £40 more.

The TV has in and out audio RCA.

As I see it using the RCA audio output ports of the television and connecting the other end of the cable to the audio input ports of the amplifier, and speaker wires to amp terminals i will get sound.

Is it posible to use the sound controls equilizer etc from the TV to adjust tone?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014