We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

advice needed about smartphone

domyknow

Likes # 0

Hi All,

I have very little knowledge on smartphones and would like some advice before grudgingly buying one for my business ( i lasted the last two years on a refurb £20 phone), I am self employed as an online marketing consultant. I tend to work from home or on clients premises.

I have a rough list of what i would like (over and above normal mobile calling function);

send and receive emails sync emails with my pc/laptop (outlook) gps satnav calendar and to do lists and notes skype functionality instant messaging ability to manage online assets like twitter, facebook and linkedin ability to work with office docs like word and excel

the above features are musts, the luxury features are more like apps i have seen on the iphone like logging expenses easily, being able to scan a barcode in a shop and get compare prices online etc etc I appreciate these are down to the app and not the phone itself.

I have two phones in mind already, the samsung galaxy s and the htc desire z, can anyone offer me suggestions please based on my needs, i would like it to be as cheap as possible.

sorry for the big post but any advice would be immensely appreciated.

thanks

Like this post
smokingbeagle

Likes # 0

GSM arena has a "Phone Finder" app on its website.GSM Arena Its on the extreme left side of their home page. Do note that the fewer options chosen will increase the number of hits.

Sorry about directing you to another website but it does contain detailed reviews on the 'phones you mention.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Unless you have an IMAP e-mail account syncing e-mails and calendar/contacts with outlook may or may not work with an android phone. I have the Galaxy S and do all my sync through google. It's a good phone but like most of these phones battery life is not good especially when you use the apps. Skype, Facebook, etc all work fine with this type of phone.

Like this post
domyknow

Likes # 0

hi woolwell, thanks for your reply, when yousay sync through google what does this mean, ie are you still syncing with outlook? Incidentallly having followed smokingbeagles link I am now toying with the idea of the samsung S 2, the reviews seems pretty good, do you think this is overkill?

Finally has anyone tried any of the htc windows phones, my main reservation is that it might keep crashing, being windows and all.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I sync Outlook calendar with Google calendar and that syncs very well with the pnone. If I hadn't recently got the S I would have gone for the S 2.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

HTC do a windows phone with office on it

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone