We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Freezing (pixilating?) BBC 1

provider 2
Resolved

Likes # 0

Any help on this one, please.

My Sky+ picture/sound freezes/stutters at precisely 6.57 pm for about half a second, then again at at 6.58 pm for a shorter time.

This happens daily and on BBC 1 but at no other time as far as I know. I hear it`s happening on cable and Freesat too in different parts of the country.

Any explanations?

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I'm using Freesat here on Anglesey but can't say I've ever noticed the problem.

I'll watch closely tonight.

Like this post
provider 2

Likes # 0

Mmm ... it gets a mention here on BBC Points of View from time to time, but perhaps it`s not all that common ... yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbpointsofview/NF1951566?thread=8159016

Like this post
provider 2

Likes # 0

Same again last night, double freezing incident 6.57 / 6.58 pm on BBC 1.

I`m wondering now if it might have something to do with the switch from regional to whole-network programmes?

The programme called The One Show is scheduled to start at 7.00 pm but usually starts two or three minutes before. The freezing happens shortly after this programme begins.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

It always happens on Satellite (Sky and Freesat are identical in this repect). At a notional 19.00 BBC Ceebies and BBC CBBC close down and BBC3 and BBC4 take over their transponders but during the few minutes before the transponders switch all four channels briefly share the same two transponders. This puts a big load on the transponder for a short period. So why does this only effect BBC1? Well BBC1 shares the same transponder and for a very short period has to share the total bandwidth with 4 other (rather than two other) channels. The net result is the pixellation you see. It doesn't happen on Freeview because the Multiplexes in use are different and so no peak load effects BBC1. No obvious solution but it always happens at exactly the same time every night.

Like this post  
provider 2

Likes # 0

Thanks dms 05.

Would it be OK to post your response on BBC Points of View (credits to you and PC Advisor, of course)

Quite a few viewers wondering what`s going on but no answers there yet.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

provider 2 - feel free to do so.

Like this post
provider 2

Likes # 0

Thanks dms_05.

I`ll give it a go and come back if there are any questions.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data