We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

nesting box camera software

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Has anyone got a suggestion for some decent (preferably free) software that will enable someone to watch birds in a nesting box on a laptop?

An elderly couple who live near me have been sent a box complete with camera by their son, who lives abroad. I set the box up for them, and ran the camera lead into the house, but they don't have any software with which to view the output.

It's not my area of expertise, but I imagine one of you will have the answer. Many thanks in advance.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

How is the Camera Connected to the PC or Laptop.??

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

ßeta

There is a cable from the camera that goes to a KWorld Video adapter. From this adapter run a USB cable and an audio jack, both of which are plugged into the laptop.

What I need is some software that can show the camera's output on the laptop. At the moment the driver for the adapter is installed, but the adapter isn't recognised by Windows. The leaflet that came with the adapter says it won't work without some software. There is software available from the nest-box maker, but it has to be paid for, and these people have a non-existent budget. I offered to pay for it, but that was refused, so I said I would look for something they could download free of charge. The problem is, I don't have a clue about camera feeds, so I need some help.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

You say that the Adapter is not recognised by Windows. Does it not show in Device Manager..??

Unfortunately most of the Free Video Capture Software rely on the WDM Driver model.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

No idea really but would windows live messenger recognise the input as a web cam? Video and audio settings available on it.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

By way of an update

I downloaded some software today, and installed it. The camera is now being turned on by the software, but all that's visible is a totally black output screen. I guessed that the format might be wrong, and changed it in the options from NTSC. The problem is, there are quite a few PAL options. I don't have access to the laptop now, and I'm not sure what the options were. My recollection is that they had letters after 'PAL.

Either way, the camera can be turned on, but there appears to be no output.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

UK PAL standard is PAL I but any should work (the main difference is the audio frequency which explains why a UK TV works in Spain but whilst you see the pic you don't hear the sound).

Try YAWCAM free software www.yawcam.com It has lots of alternatives and may even be used to stream the camera output to the Internet so their son can watch the birds in his parents garden!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

dms_05

I have now had a chance to install YAWCAM and it's up and running. It detects the nest-box camera, and turns it on, but I'm still faced with the same totally black viewing screen.

I'm beginning to wonder if I did something as elementary as leaving a lens cap on the camera. I don't think I did - there wasn't one as far as I can remember - but I'm going to have to swallow my pride and check. The problem is, a pair of Blue-tits have been busy building a nest in the box, and I don't want to risk scaring them off - I would feel pretty guilty.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

From this Click here

as the scroll don't work on the website above, I have typed below.

5: I have connected my kit as per the instructions supplied. I can hear sounds from the camera but my screen is black, any idea what is wrong?

A: Have you left the lens cap on? Check to make sure it has been removed. If it has, try unplugging the video (yellow) connections and then plugging them back together. If you have used our TV Scart adaptor, make sure it is firmly connected to your TV input.

David.

ps. Peter, Did you try that program (Video Booth (Free Version)) I advised of in the email I sent you.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Peter, Did you try that program

No, I didn't. It has been a manic couple of weeks workwise, and I've been travelling. It left me very short of spare time. I should be able to get around to it over the Easter weekend.

Thank you for your continued help.

Like this post
X7-250

Likes # 0

it seems odd to me that you mention the software was turning on the camera, on my setup the only on/off is via the mains adapter.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch R video review: The most desirable Android Wear smartwatch

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming th)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad