We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Video 8 tape to pc transfer via Digital8 camera

raishbrook

Likes # 0

Hello. I have a Hitachi VM-D865LE Digital 8 camcorder. I am trying to transfer analogue Video 8 tapes to my pc via firewire. The camera plays them fine but when connected to the pc, the picture is very blocky and unwatchable, not just pixelated. It plays digitally recorded footage ok but not analogue. I've used a couple of programs eg. Cyberlink Power Director and WinDV and the result is the same. I can watch the videos perfectly on the tv via the AV cable. My pc is running Windows 7 64 bit and i5 processor.

I have a lot of tapes of family gatherings etc. that I want to preserve on dvd. Thanks in advance, Alan

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

If you have a DVD recorder, record from the camera to a DVD then copy and paste to PC.

Like this post
raishbrook

Likes # 0

Thanks for that. I have got a dvd recorder so that is definitely an option and then I could load the dvd onto the pc and edit the files, but I would just like to cut out that stage and load the footage onto the pc straight from the camera if there is a way because there is a fair bit of editing to be done eg. blanks bits, unwanted stuff etc. From all the reports I've read, it seems that it is common practise to copy analogue footage via the firewire on a digital 8 camera, it just doesn't seem to work on mine. It's not the end of the world if it can't be fixed but it would be nice. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

I used to do this as a business and I used the Firewire cable to pull the video off the camera. I used Nero 9 for the transfer, recoding, editing and burning back to DVD.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Sounds like a driver problem,

Open Control Panel, Device Manager, Open up IEEE1394 Bus host controllers,

On mine, I had One Item, "NEC 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller",

Yours could be set to that or "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller"

If it is one or the other, Right Click on it,

Click on Update Driver Software...,

Click on Browse my Computer for Driver Software,

Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer,

Click on "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy),

Click Next,

Click Close.

Like this post
100andthirty

Likes # 0

I have been doing this using a Sony Digital 8 camera. I discovered by accident that the camera would digitise analog tapes as they're played and send the contents via a firewire connection to the computer. I believe your Hitachi can do this. If you don't have firewire, you could buy a card quite cheaply. The quality is still dependent on the quality of the original tapes, but in my experience the in-camera digitising is reliable.

Like this post
raishbrook

Likes # 0

Thanks to everyone who has responded, greatly appreciated. I tried what Lazarus The Second suggested and it seemed to work but unfortunately only once and I'm not able to recreate that success. I've tried different software and sequences of connecting the equipment/software, switching on and off etc. but no luck at all. It seems that when it did work after updating the driver, it would carry on working until something was switched off but then when restarted, back to square one. Even re-updating the driver didn't work.

Like this post
100andthirty

Likes # 0

The process I use is to capture the video - I use facilities built into Sony Vegas Movie Studio - and only then worry about viewing it. What's coming from your camera is a digital stream and should be intact once its saved to a file.

Like this post
Ciaaig

Likes # 0

The problem with the Hitachi is that it transfers video using the Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller, NOT the Microsoft built in one.

I know, because i bought THAT same camera, and experienced EXACTLY the same thing. The problem NOW is finding THAT driver.strong text

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks