We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

what dpi to use for scanning small old 70s photos

theDarkness

Likes # 0

I have many old family photos that I wish to permanently back up to hard drive to prevent loss, most from the 70s and 80s - around 100mm in length and width max, or slightly less. Im trying to find out what would be the recommended dpi to use for this procedure? Many websites state 300 dpi, others 2400. They are not all of amazing quality, perhaps due to the output quality from a basic family camera back then, but for the ones that are quite sharp, would anyone really opt for the maximum? Perhaps I can upload some to show tomorrow at differing dpi. Thanks for any recommendations :)

Like this post
uk-wizard

Likes # 0

Depends on what you want to do with the, prints up to A5 size the 300 dpi, viewing on screen 600dpi, anything over that and the files will become very large.

PS dont forget to set your scanner to greyscale.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Only if you are scanning Black & White pictures.

Colour prints were the standard in the 70s/80s. Not many people were still using B&W.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I would say, use the highest resolution that your scanner can handle.

The reason.

You will want to edit-touch up or do some other work with them at some time, and every time you process them you lose a small amount of quality.

Start with the best and you have lost nothing except a small amount of Disk space, start with a low resolution and you may end up with a very poor end result.
Terry

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

I would almost agree with Terry, but such as my printer/scanner, scans at a max of 4800 DPI. I would suggest the 2400 DPI is a better bet.

You're only going to scan these photos once, so go for the better resolution

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

The higher the DPI the longer it will take to scan.

I would suggest scanning one photo at 300 and 2400 DPI to find which you prefer.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Brynit

The reason I suggested using the highest resolution is because 'thedarkness' specified SMALL photo's.

As these will in all probality be enlarged, the resolution will drop. This means a photo of (e.g) 4" x 3" enlarged by 50% (6" x 4.5").

This means a photo scanned at 2400 resolution would be in effect 1200 resolution before any other editing, which for a photo is fairly poor.
Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...