We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Freeview box constantly searches for updates

Simon Sudbury

Likes # 0

Hi

Apologies if this is old news but I can't find anything specific on the internet. We have an Onn freeview box which is now playing up. When you switch on it iniitally shows "seaching for updates" and that process never seems to end. You can get rid of that but then are confronted with "searching for upgrade" and this takes longer to clear.

Meesage re-appears everytime we switch on. The analogue signal was switched off in our area last year but didn't think that would make a difference.

Conversely perhaps we've just need to replace it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated (nothing in the manual to cover this).

Thanks for your time.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Hi Try an e-mail to the helpdesk click here bottom of the page, but it may be that the new free view standard is causing trouble. I had to ditch my Pace box because it would not update.

Like this post
Simon Sudbury

Likes # 0

Many thanks. Am sure we did the required retune at the time but still plagued with these messages.

Have sent-e-mail and will try manual retune etc.

Like this post
Simon Sudbury

Likes # 0

Hi again

Think it's because we're supposed to out into standby to allow the overnight updates but we never do as the big blue light is very distracting when you're trying to sleep.

Thanks anyway

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Insulating tape over the 'Big Blue Eye' may be a solution- might it not?

Like this post
Simon Sudbury

Likes # 0

Do you know I never thought of that? Seriously is it common practice to leve Freeview boxes on overnight? I think waht generally happens is that my wife turns off the TV and the freeview is still technically on but off if you see what I mean. I assume in that status it can't download the overnight updates which is our root problem.

Thanks for your help.

Simon

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?