We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

how to remove file that does not exist on microsd?

theDarkness

Likes # 0

after what I think was a bad save on a nokia (a switch off during the process), I am trying to remove the same file that shows up on a microsd card, but when trying to remove it, windows states that the files do not exist? The nokia software also gives a similar message, do I have no option but to re-format the entire card?

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

reformat the card

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

I tried that, it does work, but I often have the same issue reappearing, so Im wondering if the card is likely to be on its last legs. I have a digital phone+digital camera, and have tried the card on both (fully formatting before trying either). All files save correctly, eg when taking photos and then viewing the file system (using either a pc or the screen of either) it might show :-
Photograph1.tif
Photograph2.tif etc

but often I will get "Photogr.aph3" together with the correct "Photograph3.tif" which is very odd. Its not as if the photo hasnt saved correctly, as I can move the tif to a pc and view or edit it on its own. The oddly named file remains undeletable. The memory card is a sandisk sdhc, which Im now thinking may simply be corrupt, reformatted/empty or not

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Try right clicking the file and looking at properties but it does sound as if the card might be corrupted if reformattimg doesn't stop it

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

I think u r right in the card being corrupt, if a non-quick reformat does not fix the issue, then Im wondering if I have no option but to simply bin it? The problem most likely occurred if the card was taken out mid read/write

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Why bin it all the photos are being saved. Keep using it but have a spare ready for when it packs up completely. You may be able to use it for years yet.

Like this post
cycoze

Likes # 0

try renaming the file from "Photogr.aph3" to "Photograph3.tif" or "Photograph3b.tif", then see if it will delete.

Like this post
JoeC

Likes # 0

but it worked for me when I had exactly the same problem.
If memory serves me correctly I did it this way:- right click on card, select Properties, Tools, Error Checking, Check Now.
A box came up and I put ticks in both boxes (Automatically fix file system errors, and Scan for / attempt to recovery bad sectors).
Once I had done that, the card worked perfectly.
I hope it works for you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days