We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Rechargable battery life

Terry Brown

Likes # 0

How long shoud a rechargable battery last.

I have some for about 2 years now and they have had a fair amount of use, but now they do not seem to charge properly.

I have tried a different charger.

I have been told that sometimes, if you completly discharge the battery, and re-charge it helps.

Can you recommend a good battery(rechargable)- currenty using Jessops 2100.

Any Advice.
Terry

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Rule of thumb used to be around 1000 charges if treated correctly.

I've not had that success with AA batteries for the camera. They seem to last around 2 years with a charge every month.

Although I think the voltage is quite critical for the camera and rechargeables start at a disadvantage compared with say alkaline primary cells. 1.2v compared to 1.5v.

Like this post
alB

Likes # 0

I had similar problem with Uniross batteries, didn't hold the charge for long bought a set of Duracell click here really pleased with them ...alB

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

alB

In veiw of what you said, I have just read the small print on the charger unit and it says '2 x 2.8v), which means each battery gets 1.4v not 1.5v.

To get a car battery running at 12v, the charge is usually 14v -15v at start, dropping to 12v when charged.

By that reckoning, the inital charge shoud be about 1.7v dropping to 1.5v when charged.

or is my maths wrong?.
Terry

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

The terminal voltage of rechargeables is nearer 1.2v.

Rechargeables require a constant current charger as the voltage remains fairly constant over the charge/discharge cycle, unlike a lead acid car battery, where the voltage rises and the charge current reduces as charging progresses.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

I have loads of rechargeables which don't retain their charge at all well. I have recently started to use click here - so far, so good.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

marvin42 is quite correct the sanyo eneloop series (other brands are available) use a different cathode/anode configuration and retains up to 80% of the original charge after a year. So they come already charged. I have a few AA and AAA size and can confirm they do retain their charge very well.

Like this post
Graham.

Likes # 0

I've been using click here for 5 years. They last for ever in my camera. The charger is click here

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Ni-Mh batteries loose about 10% of their charge in the first day then up to 1% everyday (say 5% a week). So they retain a usable charge for a relatively short time and so aren't suitable for low power use like clocks. The eneloop technology retains the overall charge density of a Ni-Mh but introduces a much better charge retention and can be used in low power uses.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

"Ni-Mh batteries loose about 10% of their charge in the first day then up to 1% everyday (say 5% a week)."

It does explain why the camera always requires charging when I come to use it and the spare batteries have little life in them.

Same with the electric screwdriver.......always dead when I come to want to use it.

Not really suitable for equipment that's used infrequently.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the info, I did not realise there was so much difference in batteries, but it certainly answers the question of why my rechargables are rarely usuable.

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014