We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

connecting TV to wifi

Marko797

Likes # 0

Can anyone tell me what I need to do this, or if it's possible at all?

I have a Samsung LED TV which has an ethernet connection and also USB. Someone has mentioned there are certain dongles which might let me do this.

I currently burn any videos to DVD, then play them via the DVD player, but thought if the wifi connection was possible, I wouldn't need to go through the burning DVDs process.

What I'd like to be able to do is connect my downstairs TV wirelessly to my upstairs desktop pc and watch films (which are on the pc hard drive), using the wifi which is provided by my router and wifi extender (Devolo).

I hope someone can advise. Thanks,

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

btw - it depends what you mean by "video". MP4's will run perfectly well from USB

Like this post
Marko797

Likes # 0

this is the model no. UE40B6000.

I can play music via USB but not watch avi or mp4, but I read somewhere that you can do a firmware update to the 7000 series and then you could play vids via the USB. Problem is I can't remember where I read that!

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

Firmware for various versions of your TV are here: click here

Just select whichever version you have and select the firmware tab on the next screen.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

You need to look at page 31 & 35 of the user manual. AVI & MP4 is a supported Video format via USB on the Sammy B6000 Series.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I have the UE46B6000 (bought 2009) and looking at my manual, which is for both mine and the UE40B6000, on Page 37 it states only MP3 and jpg are supported. (Pages 31-36 detail setting up the TV)

Is the manual you are looking at for a newer version of the UE40B6000 with updated firmware?

Marko797

I use an Apple TV to stream video, audio and images wirelessly to the TV from my PC.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Bremner you are absolutely correct. I was looking at the 2010 models.

My apologies

Like this post
Marko797

Likes # 0

I don't understand your post re; the Apple TV, plus I don't have such a thing.

Am I to conclude then from this that I cannot stream from my desktop to my Samsung TV via a dongle, nor via the USB?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I do not believe you can.

I did not expect you to have an Apple TV otherwise you would not have asked the question.

My point was that I have the technically same Samsung TV as you and to achieve what you want I bought Apple TV to stream the videos on my computer to the TV.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...