We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

what you need to get Free Sat

Manach

Likes # 0

We were one of the first areas to switchover to digital although I do not have FreeSat. I have a LG 42ld450 42" full hd lcd tv which has built in Freeview and HD. I'm about to purchase a second similar tv and I want to subscribe to FreeSat to get HD. The FreeSat site doesn't provide easy-to-read details on what you need and don't need so basically I want some straight advice. The 'second' new set will again have Freeview and HD built in but should I be trying to include something else for freeSat?

I gather you need a FreeSat decoder for each tv - I would also like the record facility so presume they can be combined into one box. I only need record facility on the original tv and not the one about to be bought.

I'd appreciate your views on this or recommend a site where I can read more about the subject - with comparitive ease. Thanking you - Manach

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

You need:

A satellite dish and either a TV with Freesat built in click here or a separate FreeSat tuner click here

Like this post
Manach

Likes # 0

Yes I think you're right. Shall have a chat with local tv supplier for dish connection - Monachus

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

bremner is quite correct. You actually need an identical dish to that used by Sky users. It is pointed at the same group of satellites and receives the same signal as Sky use, the difference is you can only see the 'free' channels. Freesat is simply an EPG (Electronic Programme Guide).

You will have the choice of either a hard disk recorder set up or a simple non-recording version.

Your TV is probably HD Ready which means it can display HD quality if it has an external HD input. You can buy TV's with built in HD (Freeviw and/or Freesat) but you would still need an external HD recorder to timeshift.

The advantage of an external HD Freesat (or Freeview) recorder is they have two tuners so you can record up to 2 channels at the same time whilst watching a third previously recorded programme.

The final decision depends upon what you actually want. It's very personal and theirs no right (or wrong) answer!

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

The main advantage in using an external Freesat/Freeview box instead of one built into a TV is that, if the box fails, you don't need to send your TV back to get it fixed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...