We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unable to get money programmes on digital tv

EFC1878

Likes # 0

Hopefully somebody can help. I live in an area that has gone digital however recently the channel coverage is terrible. We are in the Mendip transmitter area and recently I am able to get only 10 channels on each of 3 tvs - one is a digital tv the others are hooked up to a freeview box. We have always had more channels than this but now cannot even get any bbc channels.

Does anybody have any ideas what the problem may be and what I should do before reverting to the last resort of fiddling with the aerial?

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Have you asked your naghbours if they are having the same problems. If they are recieving all channels the problem could be the aerial and it might be an idea to replace it especially the cable with a better qualty.

Like this post
EFC1878

Likes # 0

Thanks for getting back to me. I spent a bit of time in the dark and rain streching out and managed to straighten a number of prongs. As a result each of the 3 x tvs now 20 tv and 11 radio channels.

At least thaqt is a start however I do expect that with proper attention the tvs should be attracting more channels. Might be that the aerial needs re-positioing or even a new one altogether.

With regard to checking the cables a loft conversion which prevents access to the wires

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

I don't think a few bent prongs woulds affect the signal too much but if you aerial/cable is over 15-20 years old you may have damage to the cable letting in water. Have you checked the cable?

Like this post
EFC1878

Likes # 0

BRYNIT

Yes I have tried various permutations i.e. normal auto retuning; deleting and unplugging then reconnecting; going back to factory settings and even manual tuning but all to no avail.

Terry

Thanks for the link which is very useful as it indicates that some frequencies have a lower signal strength than others. What does confuse me however if that the mendip site indicates that the BBC channel frequency isat aximum yet I cannot get BBC on any of the 3 TVs.

I do have an amplifier downstaris to take in the main coaxial and then feed tvs around the house. Are you suggetsing another device?

Question

This might sond stupid but what the hell... If some of the prongs [for want of a better word] on the aerial are bent would that have any affect on receving certain channels?

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

On the channels that you do receive, is it a weak signal i.e. less than 5%?

It seems that they are the process of adjusting your channels and signal strength.

You may need to move your arial slightly, as it looks like they could be moving transmitters.

Are your 3 tv's all connected to the same arial, as that could cause the problem.

As a short term fix, get a signal booster from your local supermarket, electrical store (from £5 to £15) and see if that helps.

I have attached a map of your signal channels and coverage area's.

Terry

click here

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Did you retune for all channels as though it was a new unit. Scanning for more channels does not work always.

How old is you aerial/cable outside?

Check for damange to the outer cable if this has let water in it will cause all sorts of problems.

Like this post
EFC1878

Likes # 0

Sorry I meant to say 'many' not 'money' channels...

Yes I ahve unplugged and re-tuned but with no improvement

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Have you retuned the TV/Freeview box, some cahnnel may have changed causing problems with others.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers