We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HDML vs SCART

john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have a Sony TV with 2 SCART inputs and one HDMI. My Panasonic DVD recorder has one SCART and one HDMI outputs. When the SCART is connected and I select Timer/ EPG or Navigator (Recoded shows) on the Recorder, the SCART / TV auto detects to AV1 and I can select a show to record or watch without having to manually select AV1 on the TV. If I link the two by HDMI, the auto detect feature does not work but if I manually select AV4 on the TV I can do as above. Is there a way of ensuring the HDMI /TV auto detects input from the DVD recorder?

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

If your Sony TV has the SMARTLINK feature and if your Panasonic DVD recored has a similar program they should communicate with one another via the HDMI cable. You will need to look through the instruction manual.

I have a Samsung TV and a Sony DVD/HD recorder that have no problems communicating with each other.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks. I will study the manuals tomorrow.

Like this post
dwaynedibbly

Likes # 0

I`ve been trawling this forum for some time now. It still amazes/confuses me why this question continues too come up, and on a fairly regular basis.
Its simple. If your kit has got HDMI...then connect it via that interface.
Its a bit like saying...I`ve got an HD video cam but will I get the same result if I use my VHS JVD video cam.
HDMI has superseded Scart.
Dont try and connect both.
The first thing I did when I bought HDMI kit, was chuch the scart cables in the bin.
Simple.

Like this post
dwaynedibbly

Likes # 0

chuch = chuck.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I an fully aware of the advantages of HDMI thank you, and would not connect both. The fact is that the auto feature I mentioned does not yet work with HDMI and as this is a bedroom TV (26") the difference in picture quality is slight - unlike the DVD vs VHS issue. I too trawl the forums but this feature / problem is a new one. NOT simple.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

If both your kit supports RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) communication protocol. Samsung call it Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC), then as BRYNIT, you should have no problem

If it does not then get yourself a cheap programmable remote control.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks all. I have read the manuals but for some reason there should be an HDMI entry on ome of the menus - but it only shows under AV4. The shop says only SCART has the auto feature. I will tick as resoved and will try suggestions. If I have to I will just manually select AV4.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Some of the smaller TV do not have the auto switch on the HDMI. If you supply the model number I'll have a read you never know I may find something you may have missed.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks very much.TV model Sony KDL 26L40xx; DVDr Panasonic DMR-EX75EB. JB
This is a bedroom TV so not a huge problem. Downstairs I have a matching pair of TV and DVDr from Pioneer, sadly no longer in production..

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

The only manual I could find for the Sony TV was for the KDL 26L4000 I assume it the same one.

Sony uses smart link and Panasonic calls it Q link.

Now if both units are capable of using these programs you will need to turn them on before anything will work.

With the Sony look in setup/HDMI setup if smart link is available you will have the option to turn it on.

With the Panasonic it should be in Setup/HDMI settings

If you look under HDMI setup in both manuals it should give you more info.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers