We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why won’t my D40 talk to my laptop?

Ex plorer

Likes # 0

I want to down load images off the D40 to the laptop it used to work fine on this lappy

I have researched the problem on the net over the past two days and I see it can be a problem.

I have the original software 15.1 that came with the 40D and also the latest 18.0 on a original canon CD.

I deleted the original software 15.1 and reloaded it again switched on the 40D and no result a message read (Device driver software was not properly installed).

I then restarted the laptop and switched on the 40D and the camera loaded the drivers successfully, unfortunately I still couldn’t transfer images.

Next I deleted that software and tried the latest 18.0 and did as above with the same results.

I deleted the USB drivers and restarted and the drivers were reassigned I connected the 40D and laptop switched on the 40D with the 18.0 software this had no effect at all only the message (Device driver software was not properly installed).

I got this message at one time and researched it
Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

I do remember a short while ago my canon scan would not talk to the laptop I did get round it somehow after a day or so fiddling with it.

The camera dose not show in Add Hardware.

I have now ordered a USB card reader to get round it for now but I still would like to understand the problem.
Would a new transfer cable be worth a try

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Device driver conflict

Unplug your scanner / D40

Use USB device view click here to uninstall (removes from registry which normal uninstalling in device manager does not do) ALL devices that are shown as NOT connected

Reboot the PC
reconnect the device and windows will find and install new hardware, your devices should now be recognised ok.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\
Hi down loaded program tried to delete the canon 40D USB and restarted but the same result camera wont load.
I did notice that the USB that I deleted remained at the set date not at to-days date after reeboot.

Port_#0001.Hub_#0008 Canon EOS 40D Still Imaging
Safe to unplug No 3146
USB Hub No 0.2
Connected No 06
Disabled No

Hub 2, Port 1 WUDFRd WUDFRd.sy WPD Canon Inc.
Driver Version 6.0.6002.18112 this is the version that came with the 40D

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite