We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What cabling do I need/should I get?

Hoseman

Likes # 0

Hi, I've just had a new TV delivered which is a Panasonic LED TV and I was wondering what cabling I need.

Ive got a DVD player and a Sky box and as far as I can see neither of them have HDMI slots. Im not sure what I have to do in order to get the optimum picture so any advice would be appreciated. At present Ive got my Sky box set up only using my scart leads.

Also, Ive heard that cabling can make a difference in terms of the quality of the picture so any advice on type required and where to buy it would be welcome too.

Thanks. :)

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

You might find that the HD channels are there already as part of initial set up. On Freeview, the channel numbers are 50-54

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

You can check if Freview HD is available in your area here click here

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

Oops - just noticed that you know the answer to my previous post already. Sorry about that.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Horses for courses as far as getting an HD TV without a source is concerned.

I got a flat panel HD Ready TV as soon as i found one that was close enough to an old SD tube TV with SD programming.

I then got an HD subscription, but i dont have premium movie or sports channels so got only teh minority of the HD that Sky offer. I've now dropped my HD subscription due to various frustrations with Sky.

I now have a BluRay player but largely becaus ei could get it for a similar price to a good upscaling DVD player as the BDP was an outgoing model.

So now i just have the free HD channels which i seldom bother with and BluRays i rent, though i just get DVDs if i cant see the BluRay in the shop and it really cant wait.

I'm still very happy with my (HD Ready as opposed to Full HD) TV though.

Like this post
Lio

Likes # 0

I have had an HD ready tv for a month now and the difference between SD & HD is quite marked, especially sports and programmes like Human Planet etc. I also noticed that we get better pictures via our Virgin Media digi box than using the tv's inbuilt freeview tuner. (on comparable definition broadcasts) To be honest, I was disappointed with the quality of the freeview pictures.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I can see very little difference between my Virgin Media box pictures (Standard Definition) and my Finlandia TVs built in Freeview,and my external Sony Freeview recorder. They are all excellent and I'm quite critical when it comes to picture quality.
I'm in Norwich and get my Freeview from the Tacolnston transmitter via a standard 7 element aerial not one of the new wideband types.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...