We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What cabling do I need/should I get?

Hoseman

Likes # 0

Hi, I've just had a new TV delivered which is a Panasonic LED TV and I was wondering what cabling I need.

Ive got a DVD player and a Sky box and as far as I can see neither of them have HDMI slots. Im not sure what I have to do in order to get the optimum picture so any advice would be appreciated. At present Ive got my Sky box set up only using my scart leads.

Also, Ive heard that cabling can make a difference in terms of the quality of the picture so any advice on type required and where to buy it would be welcome too.

Thanks. :)

Like this post
Tim1964

Likes # 0

I'm guessing the TV is an HD model>

If the DVD is not a Blueray player and if the Sky box is not an HD Sky+ version then connecting by SCART is the best you're going to get. The TV may upscale the input slightly but not to the point that the TV will be shown off to it's potential.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

It seems you have very similar equipment to me although mine is a Samsung HD TV. In my case too, there is no HDMI connection from my Sky+ box or DVD player. However, I am perfectly happy with the output from both via scart leads. I have compared BBC1 HD through their built-in Freeview box and the output of BBC 1 via the Sky box and the difference is hardly noticeable - certainly not enough to persuade me to shell out another £10 pm for Sky HD.

There is a school of thought that better quality scart leads result in a better quality picture. Well, I have swapped around all the various scart leads that I have and I am hard-pressed to notice any real difference.

In the end, it is all down to personal preferences, but I am of the school that says if you are happy with what you've got, why change it?

Like this post
Hoseman

Likes # 0

Thanks for the responses and it is a HD model.

I'm still playing around with as it has a built in freesat and freeview tuners which Ive yet to work out how to program.

One thing I'm looking to buy is a PS3 which I can also use for Blueray films but that will be further down the line.

Im a keen footie fan and the picture is OK but could e better. I was a little disappointed if Im honest. I certainly wont be paying Sky any more money as they already take enough money from me as it is.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Buying an HDTV and then not having a source of HD content seems a bit strange. Sport, especially football, is MUCH better on a large screen TV in HD.

As I understand it you've no HD source so you have no idea how much better the picture will be. You currently are watching at 576 lines (ie SD) and you could get 1080 lines if you had HD.

Finally Sky broadcast HD at a higher definition than the BBC (1920 vs 1440) horizontal pixels. You really need to take a look at Sky Sports to see the difference between SD and HD. It's also noticeable that some channels are now downgrading their SD picture quality as they begin to offer HD channels (FIVE is a good example).

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

I should have said - your built in Freeview and Freesat tuners may only be SD but that depends upon your TV model (very very few have HD tuners as standard so don't assume an HDTV will display broadcast HD without additional equipment).

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

"Buying an HDTV and then not having a source of HD content seems a bit strange"

Lets face it, MOST new TVs, especially the larger ones, are HD or HD Ready now, so your comment is a bit superfluous, and surely its better not to have to upgrade again if an HD source becomes available.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Some new Panasonics have Freeview and or Freesat HD tuners. As and when Freeview or Freesat HD is broadcast in your region you will have an HD source, if your TV is one of those mentioned above. What model do you have?

Like this post
Hoseman

Likes # 0

Ive got a Panasonic TX-L37D25B

Im having 2nd thoughts about the HD package now... watched a football game and I was disappointed.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

You model does indeed seem to have Freeview and Freesat HD tuners.Is HD TV on Freeview available in your region? It is not yet in mine. I think that the picture quality is also very different depending on the original broadcast. I have noticed that BBC "David Attenborough" style outside programmes are far better than films, for example. Do you use the Freeview tuner or have you a Freesat dish?

Like this post
Hoseman

Likes # 0

Freeview is available in my area but I havent worked out how to tune it... yet! And I will be using the tuner which I will hopefully sort out this weekend.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...