We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HTC Hero Software Upgrade

VideoSentry

Likes # 0

My Hero ( T-Mobile ) is currently Android 1.5 ,I have seen / been told that I can up it to 2.2 and get more apps than before but the HTC website states that it is not possible? Has anyone upgraded their Hero ?

Like this post
preston

Likes # 0

You can only get 2.1. To get 2.2 you would have to root your phone, which will turn it into a brick if you get it wrong. To update the phone, Go to>Settings > About phone> System software updates and then click,Check now.
Another option would be to upgrade your phone. I upgraded to an Htc Desire. It has 2.2 and loads more extra features and non of the problems the Hero had.

Like this post
preston

Likes # 0

Android 2.3 will be rolling out soon,so upgrading your phone might be the better option.

Like this post
VideoSentry

Likes # 0

I have tried your suggestion but it does not allow Me to do it,I will be popping into the T-Mobile shop later to see if they ( T-Mobile) have blocked the upgrade.
Brian

Like this post
VideoSentry

Likes # 0

Having been into the local T-Mobile shop the lad there informs Me that it is not possible -without the risk of turning the phone into a brick- to update it! So I will now await the end of contract.

Like this post
Tim1964

Likes # 0

My wife and daughter both have a Hero (on Orange) and although it was a long time coming they are running 2.1..........(free sat-nav, yay!)

Is it a T Mobile issue ???

Like this post
VideoSentry

Likes # 0

I think it may be,when did you get the oroange version ? As mine is from Nov 2009, I have found a chap that says "Yes, I can install a custom ROM which is running a
reliable, stable and better performance version of
2.2. If you would like to book the phone in for
service, please click the 'Buy it Now' link and I
will send you further instructions including my
delivery address after payment has processed." for £21 all inclusive,
So I may try him ( Good feedback so far on E bay )

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad