We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet on a mobile via a broadband connection?

erkmatrix

Likes # 0

Hi this may seem a stupid question but I've only ever had a basic payg phone and now want to get a payg smartphone (HTC Desire HD)but I'm clueless as to what they can do. I know you can get he internet with a monthly plan of £20 for 6 months on T-Mobile I think it is but is it possible to just connect it to a wireless router connection from a home broadband and get emails and browse on the phone the internet using that connection and not have to pay, or doesn't it work like that.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

you can get your htc to connect to your router and use the wifi via your broadband.

go into the wifi settings you should be able to see a list of wifi networks in range hit your one and enter your wifi network password and it will auto connect whenever in range.

Like this post
erkmatrix

Likes # 0

Hi and thanks for the info, I haven't got the phone as yet, just wanted to know if you could do this first. So people who pay for the internet on these payg phones do so to connect to wifi hotspots but at home they could simply connect to their own broandband, am I right in saying that.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

'So people who pay for the internet on these payg phones do so to connect to wifi hotspots but at home they could simply connect to their own broandband'

No.

People pay to use the 3G network to connect to the internet, so if you can get a 3G signal you can be on the internet. I also keep my 3G connection going at home - however I could connect by WiFi to my Router but prefer to stay on 3G.

I use a ZTE Racer (Android 2.1) from '3'. It was 'free' and I have a monthly plan costing £13 which gives me more internet than I need and many more minutes of phone and SMS than I'm likely to use.

Like this post
erkmatrix

Likes # 0

Hi DMS_05

Thanks for making that much clearer for me, I get it now.

Just out of interest, so you are on a payg phone with 3G correct, if I got a htc desire payg phone on 3G network. Could I get this deal for £13 with free minutes and text as well as internet, or did you get a special deal. I thought to get minutes and texts you have to pay £25-£40 a month on a contract.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

I'm on a contract but that included a free android smartphone with internet, talk time and SMS for £13/month. That was a special offer price but it's only £15/month normally - I was just lucky!

Look carefully at the plans offered by the mobile operators - they often push ones that are better for them than the customer! I researched mine carefully and pounced on the best deal when it appeared.

You can buy the same ZTE Racer for £100 and have PAYG internet. I think £5 worth of top up gives you 150 MB of internet (as well as talk+SMS) and you buy another £5 worth when the internet runs out (or the talk!).

Like this post
erkmatrix

Likes # 0

Thanks for the advice DMS_05, I have now looked more into this and think I've found a good deal, I know its a lot of money but I've kinda set my heart on the HTC Desire HD now as I want it to also take good pics and record a video clip for youtube now and again. I would then buy a sim free one and get one of these sim only deals from T-mobile £15.32 30 day contract with 350 minutes and 300 texts a month and also free unlimited internet (yeah fair use policy one though). Still not a bad deal and should suit me as its not too much a month. Keep it in good condition and sell it on in 6 month - 1 year and upgrade it. Or keep it for longer maybe if its still good enough which it should be for a couple of years I guess.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...