We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Photos are blurred

Hetti

Likes # 0

Hi all
Hope Im in the right place with this query,
I have photos and some documents saved in windows photo gallery, but when I try to veiw some of them they have lost all detail. When they first appear on the screen in WPG there are tiny, when I try to make it bigger I cannot see any detail at all.

Have I lost the items or is there a way to recover them?

Running Win Vista home

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Go to sSEARCH and enter *.jpg. This will find all your photo's on your system, and then you can re-locate them so you can find them easier.

Another option is to use a program like Picassa (from Google-FREE)which will locate all your graphic programs (jpeg,mpeg,avi) and sort them for you according to date and folder.

This also has an excellent editing and straightening, which is easy to use.click here

To save your finished work it is best to EXPORT them to a different folder, rather than just save.
Terry

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

It appears you are only viewing a thumbnail of the picture, hence when you enlarge it it looses definition.

Right click and select properties and see what their file size is.

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

On your camera, if set to best resolution, the jpg file size should be in the order of 1.7Mb. 5.23kb is ridiculous.

Possibly you have made incorrect settings on your camera, and I suggest you consult the instruction book, and work through the various settings.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Even with Photoshop CS5 - a very expensive programme - I do not think that interpolating a 5.23 Kb original up to, say 500 Kb would look ok - the pixels would be spread too thin. Maybe if he reads this, hssutton would comment.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

john bunyan
OK thanks , I will bear that in mind next time I use the camera.
So just to recap,is there anyway I can now change the size from the thumnail to a better size, or is it to late.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

We also have a Lumix. The reason I save as above is that if I want to print them, I can get 2 to an A4 page, and 300 dpi is a good resolution for printing. I think the Lumix saves as 180 dpi bot larger. My total pixels are roughly the same afer adjustment.If you dont print it doesnt matter much. Your tiny thumbnails seem to be just that - thumbnails..

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

skidzy

The photos are about three years old, they were not blurred when I transferd them fom my camera.
I dont have Photo commander now I got Picasa instead.
The SD card goes in slot on laptop then I get a window with 101Pana folder in there,I open that and there are the photos,
As you say Picasa has found all pics thats how I discovered more easily the ones that are blurred.
john bunyan
They are definateley kb, The camera is a Panasonic lumix DMC-TZ2 I cant remember for sure the settings but I mostley leave it set to intelligent iso (best setting for the situation,
I will burn them to a disk as you say.

To be honest when I download phots to laptop I dont alter any settings, size and dpi, was not aware I could.

Thanks

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I usually keep snapshots at about 7" x 5" at 300dpi, and coloured ones end up as about 1MB. For a photoframe, I keep them at about 12cmx10cm at 72dpi, and they are about 57Kb If yours are as small as 5.23 (Kb not Mb?) they are indeed very tiny.Surely they dont take up too much space? I would burn them to a CD (just in case) before deleting them.
What was the camera setting when you took them?

Like this post
skidzy

Likes # 0

Hi Hetti

First thing to ask here..... have the photos always been blurred or are these a recent batch.

Have you checked in Ashampoo photo commander to see if this has a gallery/Organiser etc ?

How did you get the images to the computer..ie; via software or copy from the memory card in My Computer ?

Did a specific program download the images for you to the computer ?

Picasa maybe your best bet at the moment as this will find your originals if they exist.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

I just found some photos I took myself and the file size is 5.23, some are a little less some a little more they are all blurred when I try to enlarge it there are quite a few like this, are they lost now? if so I may as well delete them as they are taking up quiet a lot of hard drive, hate to do this but if I cant veiw them they may as well be gone.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...