We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Apple Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PVR machine and HD TVs

ukthesis

Likes # 0

This should be easy.

I have a PVR machine, that records Freeview channels directly from the television. But it isn't geared up for HD.

However, can I still use it to record programmes using a HD television? Will the recording be non-HD, but otherwise perfectly okay? What about "HD ready" televisions? The same?

So when I play it back on this PVR machine, the images are fine but not in HD.

I'm thinking of buying a HD or "HD ready" television, but I want to keep the PVR machine.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

I am not sure that all TVs provide video output but some certainly do. I would expect that they all do but be certain to check before buying. You need this facility in order to record the parogramme being displayed on the TV.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

I am not sure that all TVs provide video output but some certainly do. I would expect that they all do but be certain to check before buying. You need this facility in order to record the parogramme being displayed on the TV.

Like this post
jack O'lantern

Likes # 0

'I can successfully record from and full HD televisions. '

As all ready pointed out earlier
Recorders do not record from TV- they have their tuners and are independent from the TV.
You access the recorder via the TV- but there after it does its own thing.
It is important to acknowledge you comprehend this.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Whilst the prime function of a PVR is to record from an in-built tuner, many can rcord from a Scart input also. Some TVs have Direct TV Record facility, so that one can record what is being shown on TV, ie using the TV in-built tuner or alterntive input.

ukthesis says that is what he does. Since a Freeview + PVR will not have access to HD channels on satellite, he may be wishing to record these although he could presumably record them from a Scart output on a satellite receiver.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

I must admit I've never owned a PVR that will accept any input from an external source. I'd be interest to know which do (I have a Humax 9300 and a Topfield 5800 which don't and they are generally considered to be premium products in this market).

It strikes me as VERY odd that the OP has a twin tuner PVR and the facility to automatically record from it's EPG but then ignores this facility and manually records from the TV. It seems that the technology offers simplicity yet the user choses complexity.

If the OP is really recording from the TV then he can continue to record on his existing PVR using the same SCART connection to a new HDTV. The result will be recordings in SD which will playback in SD.

However I'd suggest a reading of the PVR manual so he can take advantage of using the PVR in it's simplest manner would make his life easier and he could have all the advantages of dual tuner recording and playback of a third programme whilst recording two at the same time.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

I quite agree with your point. In fact I may have used wrong teminology because I was thinking of a Freeview + box, which has an DVD recorder included and these can record from external inputs.

I had assumed that there were occasions when the OP had not planned to record but did so on seeing something of interest on TV. Also, without an HD STB (PVR or Freeview + HD), he will not be able to decode HD programmes from the EPG. So if he can decode HD, for example in a TV with an in-built HD tuner, he could record that from the TV. Of course, he may be under the impression that an HD TV must have an HD tuner but, of course, that is not the case. The HD Ready or Full HD only apply to display resolution.

Like this post
ukthesis

Likes # 0

Hitachi, who make my PVR, say it should work fine on HD and HD ready televisions.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

All SD PVR's will work with HDTV's. The ONLY limitation is the connectors, you need to have an output from the PVR that is matched on the HDTV. The best will be SCART if the TV is a European model (in the USA they use RCA connectors as SCART is a European method).

However these PVR's will only work in SD even if the TV has a HD tuner (and the vast majority don't).

If you have an HD PVR then you would connect that to the HDTV with an HDMI cable which would allow you to view the programme recorded in HD on your HDTV.

Just to confuse everyone some SD PVR's do have HDMI connections and that will still allow you to record on your PVR and display on the HDTV in the best resolution available. For example one of my SD PVR's has HDMI and is connected to my HDTV producing 720p definition but as the recordings are all in SD I essentially see 576i via 720p and notice no difference in quality.

Like this post
ukthesis

Likes # 0

Well, this is getting too complicated and confused for me. I'm signing off and getting one of those TVs you can return if everything's not okay!

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

As youhave not closed the thread, I hope hat you intend to tell us how you get on with your PVR when used with a new TV.

I also wonder if we have misunderstood what you meant by "record from the TV". it has been taken to mean that the output of the currently viewed channel derived from a tuner in the TV has been fed to the PVR for recording. As has been pointed out, the normal procedure would be to record using the tuner in the PVR. In this way, one programme can be recorded while another is watched. The method of achieving this is to select the PVR output on the TV, select the EPG (programming guide) and nominate the progamme to be recorded. This is, of course, done on the TV screen. Is that what you meant by recording from the TV? If so, you will have no problem with any new TV.

I apologise if this is too trivial a suggestion. I do not intend to be patronising but forum users cover a wide range of levels of technical background.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia