We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet tv

john bunyan

Likes # 0

I am thinkimg of getting a new TV (A Panasonic). Some have a so - called internet option, but you have to buy a wi fi dongle to connect to your wi fi network, and is primarily designed to use i Player and other catch ups.Could the same dongle and network be used to stream video files from the desktop? Eg I have W7 with MCE and a Wireless N router - could I stream recorded TV shows, films etc in this way? Too far to connect by ethernet.Also the TV has a USB Port. Could I put a TV show recorded on my MCE on a USB memory stick or USB HD and plug it into the TV to watch without having to change the recording format in MCE or would i have to transcode it?

Like this post
sri34

Likes # 0

Is there any equipment on the market to enable video streaming to an older digital TV without a USB connection but has HDMI and AV inputs.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

You got it.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I believe I may be able to answer my own query. click here
If I understand the description correctly you connect the unit to your hub via an Ethernet cable and HDMI cable to the TV you can then stream video and audio from any PC on your network wirelessly to the TV.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

"Is there any equipment on the market to enable video streaming to an older digital TV without a USB connection but has HDMI and AV inputs."

Yes, here's two options, Xbox360 or PS3. There are many more.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Lets get the definition of "Streaming" correct. click here

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I had (have) a Phillips system that streamed from a downstairs DVD recorder to an upstairs TV _ I think it had special SCART plugs. The quality was poor as my walls are thick. In the end bought a second Freeview HD/DVD recorder!

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Is there any equipment on the market to enable video streaming to an older digital TV without a USB connection but has HDMI and AV inputs.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thanks. Will study the link etc.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Same sort of question click here

As for the USB thing. You'll need to look at the TV specs to see which Video file formats it supports.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia