We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New 37 inch TV?

Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Hi I am after a new 37inch TV £700(Limit)

Although picture quality has to be good sound quality is also very important to me.

I do not want to have separate speakers other wise the TV would possible be in the £500 bracket and I dislike extra speakers cluttering up under the telly.
(if I have to that way I will as last resort)

LCD Back lit is what I want in the way of a new TV,

There are a few sites that give info on the top Ten TVs but sound seems to take a back seat, whilst the pic quality and future proof and connections etc are given a good airing.

No one wants a poor pic quality but sound is important I have been using wireless head phones for years that are the best around, but i now want rid of them.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Cheers jellyhead missed that site in my research.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Exactly. Make up your mind before going in as to what specifics you need. How many HDMI inputs? (for example). LCD, LED or Plasma? Scart?

Most important thing of all.....Look at the TVs working in the shop and decide which picture you like best. Some people prefer a high contrast picture whereas I prefer a more "natural" setup. Look outside your window - the world does not consist high contrast shades, it consists of pastel shades.

Choose the one you like best because you are going to be looking at it for a long time.

And don't rush!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Thats what I did with the one in my posting of 15.51 yesterday.I think Panasonic and Samsung are the best choice...

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

I just bought a 40-inch Sony Bravia KDL40EX503U LCD HD 1080p Television for £699 from John Lewis. Still awaiting delivery but looked great in store and has good reviews.

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

37-inch model also available, I should have said - at the time it was about the same price as the 40-inch.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

As I mentioned. This is the wrong forum to be asking about TV's

"I just bought a 40-inch Sony Bravia KDL40EX503U LCD HD 1080p Television for £699 from John Lewis. Still awaiting delivery but looked great in store and has good reviews."

Like this post
donki

Likes # 0

I find a TV a very personal buy as people look for different things. I assume you know about the differences in Plasma, LCD and LED(both side and back lit). On purely egonomics id go for either a LG, Sammy or a Sony all make quality products. You will find there isn't much difference between them at your price point. Panasonic make arguably the best plasmas but I hate the bulky look of them.

You want great sound from a flat screen, you wont get it, it wont even compare to a similar CRT television, the units are gettign thinner and thinner and that isn't good for sound I am sure you know. There are solutions such as soundbars and 2.1 systems which take up very little space.

A good forum for reviews would be AVForums, good advice and always plent of members about. (Sorry FE if we aren't allowed to mention other forums but the OP wasn't gettign much joy).

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Some reviews on 37" TV's - many others on different sizes. Good starting point but I suspect the prices quoted may be on the high side and looking around will probably produce some discounting on most TV's click here

In the end no substitute for looking at well adjusted sets. These guys do good demo's click here if you have one locally and offer 5 year warranty for 10% of the purchase price.

Most shops have their demo's set to a special setting for well lit areas. Try looking at some in lighting more typical of your home. However the 'shop' setting can be useful at home for daytime viewing in bright light.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Thanks to all who have given links and personal information.

I will follow up on all advice you have given me.

I may not have chosen the best site to ask for advice on TVs but it has comes up with sound
information as to give me a head start and get the best value for money.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback