We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Phone with SatNav function without 3G service

frank27

Likes # 0

I'm looking for a PAYG Sim-free phone with GPS that does not need the phone network to function. [I assume the maps would have to be held in memory.]
A camera would be nice as well.
I believe the Mitac Mio A701 used to have just such a spec but is now obsolete.
Can anyone suggest a suitable candidate make / model.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

mark2 is right, but you need to be aware that using the phone's internal GPS without the "assisted" bit is very slow to locate your position.

Also bear in mind that if you do go down that path, you will most likely need to switch off assisted GPS straight away. I seem to remember that my Nokia came with it set to "on" as default.

Like this post
mark2

Likes # 0

Both the E71 and N95 with ovi will function without use of the "assisted" 3G function ie offline, simply relying on satellites for positioning.

Memory suggests that the england a wales map is approx 350mb.

I've never used the gps for lat / long co ordinates but without the maps loaded you will be given lat/long position.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Perhaps it would help if you were to state what you want the satnav for as a standalone satnav may be the best for you.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think you want to use mapping on a phone off-line and therefore not incur data charges.

With OVI Maps you would have to download the entire click here map to work off-line.

Google maps require you to be on-line.

Like this post
frank27

Likes # 0

I looked at the E71 & N95 mentioned by mark2.
I think with AGPS the uuser has to utilise 3G service for the SatNav to function, but I'm not knowledgable on this subject.
F

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Which phones are you looking at..???

Like this post
frank27

Likes # 0

Thanks for these suggestions - but looking at the specs for these phones suggests they only have AGPS. I think this means that the user has to have use the 3G service for the SatNav to function.
I think what I'm after is satellite GPS. I want to be able to navigate to a user inputted Lat/Long position.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Most Smartphone's these days incorporate a GPS Receiver.

The Mitac Mio A701 used the SirfStar III chipset, however you still needed to purchase a GPS App such as Tomtom Mobile, Co-Pilot etc to give you turn by turn directions.

Just look for a Smartphone with Built In GPS, If you don't require turn by turn just use Google Maps on the device.

Like this post
mark2

Likes # 0

Have a look at the Nokia site, I do know the E71, N95 etc would run Ovi maps, which are free.

Like this post
karmgord

Likes # 0

Nokia phones that use ovi maps have the maps downloaded to the phone memory or a memory card.My N8 works perfectly Offline (which you select in settings) but as mentioned it is slow to find initial position.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen