We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unauthorized internet connection

charliep

Likes # 0

I've just discovered that my phone, Sony Ericsson W715 with Vodafone, has been accessing the internet without my knowledge. It seems to happen every 2 weeks at midnight. I've checked the settings and apps on the phone but can't find anything to account for this. I also checked the Sony Ericsson forum and it appears I am not the only one with this problem. Vodafone's response is to bar internet access, but I feel this is not a satisfactory solution as it means I can't access the internet when I want to. Has anyone here had a similar problem? Any ideas how to resolve it?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

do you know how long it connects for? Is it visiting a clock update server for instance?

Like this post
charliep

Likes # 0

It doesn't connect for long. As far ad I can gather the downloads are about 200kb with the biggest just over 1Mb. I took it to a Vodafone shop today and they said they would send it away to be 'flashed'. They think it's a software problem but didn't seem surprised at all by it. I might try that after the hols.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen