We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New TV - LCD or Plasma

Border View

Likes # 0

For a couple of years we have had a samsung 32" LCD wide screen TV. Must admit we have been disappointed with this TV. Dark smudges on right and left of screen has lessened our enjoyment.

OH is now looking for a new TV with a larger screen and has asked me to research which is better LCD or plasma.

Would not be using it with a computer and would be looking for up to 45".

Can I please have your suggestions/comments?

Looking forward to your response.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Looks a lovely tv anchor

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

Yes, I can receive ITV1 and BBC1 on Freeview HD, and the quality is outstanding!!.

Like this post
AL47

Likes # 0

ive been reccomended the vt20 3d panasonic plasma, as im making the same decision as you,

personally i dont want an LED-edge lit LCD, like the samsung 8000/9000 beta said, id be going for a full LED local dimming set.. only a few around

as of now im leaning towards the VT20 46"

Like this post
AL47

Likes # 0

ive been reccomended the vt20 3d panasonic plasma, as im making the same decision as you,

personally i dont want an LED-edge lit LCD, like the samsung 8000/9000 beta said, id be going for a full LED local dimming set.. only a few around

as of now im leaning towards the VT20 46"

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

The VT20 suffers from 50Hz Judder.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I was about to buy a Samsung UE46C8000 as the spec seems very good and my wife (and I)do not like the shiny black surrounds of the other models mentioned. I really can't justify paying twice the price for the Samsung UE55C9000 so may go ahead as I can get J Lewis to price match a good price with Comet and get a "free" 5 years warranty.
AL 47 : Re the Panasonic (a brand I would prefer) I am hesitant re the plasma longevity and the black shiny surround, although the HD Satelite tuner is a bonus as we are a long way away from HD Freeview where I live.

Like this post
AL47

Likes # 0

i have re reviewed my decision, being in the infancy of 3d and feeling i want to go 3d im holding off on my purchase until later 3d progresses further .. but i still prefer the plasma picture over the LCD.. maybe when LCD gets full local dimming i will take the plunge.. NO worries for image retention, blacks exceeding plasmas and hopefully decent 3d

thats my new plan

Like this post
AL47

Likes # 0

i personally didnt like the silver of the 8000, my dell u2410 has a nice matt black bezel, the best type

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers