We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which Digital SLR Camera?

Border View

Likes # 0

I am looking to move up into the digital SLR camera world. My main use will be photographing wild life.

I would like one with a good zoom lense.

My budget ranges from £300 to £400.

Can anyone please offer suggestions. I have seen the Sony A290 but would welcome advice.

Thank you.

Like this post
rkhan19

Likes # 0

sorry that post seems messed up. My recommendation is the Sony Nex 3. Also, I did another quick google search and found the nex 5 within the top end of your price bracket so you should look into that as well. I dont own the nex 5 so dont want to mention much about it other than to mention it is is (obviously) the next model up from the nex 3 :)

Like this post
rkhan19

Likes # 0

how about the Sony <a href="click here
">Nex 3</a>, it is perfect for those moving up from a normal point and shoot camera because it is not much bigger than a point and shoot camera. Sony lenses are also very good (I dont think they are the best but they are very good).

I had a quick look at Comet and they are selling it for £329 and I assume it will be even cheaper when bought from an online only shop so it is well in your budget

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

If you have Canon EOS lenses for your Canon EOS 1000F 35mm camera they will fit the Canon 1000D £335 click here

However if any lenses you have are third party ones it's very possible that they will not work

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Many thanks everyone for responding.

So much information to take into consideration. I am not an experienced photographer. I currently use a Konica Minolta Z3 which was one of the last made before the company closed and Sony took over.

I also have an old Canon EOS 1000F 35mm but have not used it for a while. You tend not to use film cameras once you have found the convenience of digital.

Now that I am retired and have more time think its probably time to attend photography classes. That was I will move out of the automatic point and shoot mode.

Again thank you for your advice and comments.

Regards - Borderview

Like this post
donki

Likes # 0

Would you think about going down the second hand route? A 40D would cost you about £350 (that price would be for a pristine boxed one) and is a quality camera, much better build than the 1000D, higher burst rate and better noise handling capabilities. Ive had mine for about a year and wont be upgrading anytime soon. I have used it for wildlife and airshows with some great results.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Not SLR but I am getting fantastic results from this Canon with 35x zoom click here

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

Also, were you aware that because of differences between sensors on SLR's and DSLR's, the quoted lens zoom range should be multiplied by 1.5 on the Sony? So for example a 70-300 zoom equates to 105-450 on the Sony DSLR. The downside is that the standard 18-70 kit lens that comes with the camera is really 27-105 - not so good as it sounds for wide-angled photography.

Please don't ask me to explain the technicalities because I cannot. I have a basic Sony A200 with a Minolta 70-300 lens and they work well together.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

As an added benefit, any Minolta AF lens will fit the Sony so you may be able to pick up something secondhand later in that regard. This is because the anti-shake system is in the camera with Sony, not in the lens as applies to some other DSLR's.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Many thanks for responding everyone. It looks as though quite a bit of research is going to be needed before I splash the cash. I am leaning towards the Sony A290

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

I hit the response button before finishing.

The Sony A290 is a very able camera, Sony loaned me the previous model for 3 months to do a review and I must say I was plesantly suprised at the quality of the images and also the ease of operation (just a little to lightweight for me though)However a suitable lens is still the problem.

Warehouse express have this lens on sale, Tamron 70-300mm f4/5.6 DI LD Macro (Sony fit) The pair would cost around £400.

Have you any particular form of wildlife in mind? For birding there is an altenative method called digiscoping click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK