We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB record turntables

the hick

Likes # 0

Myself and a pal have been thinking of buying one of these to transfer our LP collections to MP3 files and then CD's. Does anyone have any advice on any recommended make to go for, or avoid, and any other hints and tips please? Any help much appreciated, thank you.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I did it without any extra kit. If you have a system that plays CD's that also has a headphone socket, you can plug this in to your PC's microphone in socket using a phono cable with a
You have to record in real time. I use Roxio Creator 2010, but i think Audacitymale plug at each end. (free) would do the job.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

.. with a male plug at each end... You..

Like this post
the hick

Likes # 0

john bunyan, thanks for info, I didnt know this was possible. My sound system is early-80's, with later CD player, and has 'phones socket. I shall borrow a laptop, since my PC is in diff. room to sound. I presume, there is no risk of damage to the PC/laptop doing this?

Like this post
the hick

Likes # 0

john bunyan, thanks for info, I didnt know this was possible. My sound system is early-80's, with later CD player, and has 'phones socket. I shall borrow a laptop, since my PC is in diff. room to sound. I presume, there is no risk of damage to the PC/laptop doing this?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have an '80's system (Technics).You need the pre amp as built in and a phono lead with a male at each end.I have a sound card (X Fi) so I set Roxio to capture sound as heard through speakers.It should also work if the motherboard has on board sound. I would have a look at the software - do you have any? If not try Audacity.I took my system to the desktop. I do the same with a cassette/ radio to capture cassette music.It should do no harm to the PC.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Sorry - meant to say LP's , not Cd's as the latter are not what we were discussing. You can burn CD's later in audio format using Audacity or iTunes etc.I have more or less put all my LP's, CD's and cassettes on to MP3 and use an iPOd and dock (30 amp) to play so not sure why you would want to create CD's. Why not go the whole hog and forget Cd's - get someone to buy you an iPod and dock for Xmas!

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

Not all USB turntables are Windows 7 compatible if that is your operating system so be careful if you go down that route.

I use a similar method to john bunyan. I have an old turntable connected to an amplifier. A lead runs form one of the amps' output sockets to the line in socket on my sound card. You will need software to capture the sound. I use Polderbits click here. I dare say there is free stuff around too, but Polderbits works well for me.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I bought the ION USB turntable when it was twice the price (£120) that it is now. That, in conjunction with the supplied (but also available as a free download) Audacity software did everything I needed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow