We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Freeview node failure- a puzzlement

jack

Likes # 0

Since a reshuffle of the nodes- a clutch of channels have gone away.
Dave, SKY3 and a bunch of others no longer come up.
EPG on the TV simply does not acknowledge they are anywhere at all.
The Digital PVR lists them but comes up 'No Signal'
That's OK no big deal - its all old repeats .
Here is the puzzlement.
I listen to TV through wireless headphones.
Sometimes when the TV/Recorder is switched off, and I am still wearing the phones - it will pick up the odd sound - some of which I I/D where it is that coming from?
Last night with TV/Recorder off they picked up QI in full chunter.
A check of the listing paper revealed it was DAVE
but from where?

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

Indeed read the whole first pos
Free view is obtained thruogh
1. Sony KVR TV 18 month old
ans Sony PVR -same age.

My second to last line reads
'When 34 is selected the scan goes right past and checks all other channels - it does NOT 'settle' on 34'

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

jack - how old is your Freeview receiver? Recent changes may have rendered it obsolete.

It sounds as if you are manually using auto tune. You should be able to force the receiver to tune only the chosen channel by selecting 34 in the manual tune option.

Good luck.

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

This time how to tune manually- once more I knew that too.
However your prompt got me to try- again.
The channel number appears in a small window and the on screen instruction is to enter by remote numbers the channel desired.
When 34 is selected the scan goes right past and checks all other channels - it does NOT 'settle' on 34.
So the puzzlement remains- My wireless head phone can 'pickup' DAVE the equipment does not.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Dave, Sky3 and others including Sky News are on Multiplex C which is Ch 34 from Crystal Palace. Have you tried manually retuning that specific channel?

For information click here

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

All of which I am aware of .
None of which is as far as I can see is applicable to the puzzlement.
For your info my transmitter is Crystal Palace- 15 miles off- clear line of sight- you you can get high enough.
The lack of node signal may be due to my aerial type or location [in loft].
None of which addresses the question.
So I will paraphrase it.
All equipment is off - not switched on- so no signal of any sort is being processed.
The wireless head phones- switched on - never the less can pick up a signal- of a node that is not being received by the equipment even switched on.
How come?
In the past when this has happened I have even asked my 'party wall' neighbour[semi detached]
If their TV was on and what channel.
The answer was [at various times] not on or another channel being watched.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Go to click here and this will list all of the channels available on Freeview - download the pdf file near the top of page 1.

However some restrictions apply as you will only get all of these if your are tuned to a main transmitter, many of the relays that people have to use only supply a sub-set of these. If you are in Wales you will get a different line up to account for S4C etc. So it can be complex.

Indeed if you have recently suffered DSO then it's probable that some of the new multiplex's won't be on full power for some considerable time (2012 when the last analogue transmitter is finally switched off) because of interference between analogue and digital signals on adjacent transmitters.

Personally I'd go to Factory Reset then do a completely new Channel Tune. It might even pay to manually tune the channels to avoid cross interference if that's the problem.

I have both satellite and terrestrial digital and terrestrial cause more problems more of the time.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger