We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sanyo DRW-1000 VHS to DVD

keith mac

Likes # 0

A friend in the USA recently bought a Sanyo DRW-1000 VHS-to-DVD recorder. It's a couple of years old and she's having no success with it. The unit does work and the recorded DVD will play back through the unit itself but not on any other DVD player, freestanding or PC. She's already tried various types and brands of disk.

It does finalise the disk (or certainly goes through the routine of doing it) as if it's being prepared for regular DVD players. I looked through the instruction manual to see if there were any alternative file formats which might somehow have been accidentally selected - again without success.

Failing any suggestions on the above, what could I get to use on her PC and how complicated would it be to set up and burn DVDs that way - she's a bright 83 but it needs to be straightforward and reliable - I'd get her started.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Although it may seem to have been finalised have you put the disk back in selected the relevant menu to check it has been finalised.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I have exactly the same problem with a Panasonic. Finalises the disk, but still won't play in another machine. I've never been able to figure out a fix for it.

Like this post
keith mac

Likes # 0

BRYNIT - I can't recall if we did what you've asked but we tried recording several disks, even minus and plus varieties each time going through the correct procedure and cross-checking one another. Every one would have to have had a similar fault if it were the finalising process although it's possible that is failing...... I'll have to email my friend to ask her if she can find the menu you've mentioned.... Can't do it myself until January when we're due to get back there.

ams - yours sounds just like our problem - not looking good from what you've said....

Like this post
Confab

Likes # 0

Perhaps you're recoring in VR mode?

click here

Like this post
keith mac

Likes # 0

I don't remember reading in the manual that VR is an option when recording but I'll ask her to check.

The article whose link you sent refers to rewritable DVD but doesn't say if VR mode can be used to record on to regular, write-only disks.

Although that format would have no advantage for single-use disks, perhaps it's still possible to record in that format?

any thoughts, anyone?

Like this post
Confab

Likes # 0

Possibly not a VR issue. Have a read here

click here

Like this post
keith mac

Likes # 0

Reading the page whose link you sent it says that DVD-R disks are recorded in 'Video' mode and as such should be able to be played on regular DVD players

VR isn't an option if it's not a rewritable disk if I'm understanding the manual....

Things looked promising for a while.....shame

Like this post
Confab

Likes # 0

Not sure what to suggest other than are you certain that she is recording on to DVD-R's?

Like this post
keith mac

Likes # 0

Yes she's using DVD-R and has tried various brands in case of unsuitability.

The disks are accepting the transferred VHS video as the disks can be played in the recording unit itself - just not in any other regular DVD players.

very disappointing

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...