We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

iPhone update out today!

Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

Apparently stops people grabbing your details if you are in the range of their wi-fi.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

You could write what I know about mobiles on a pinhead but I bought myself an iPhone 4 in Bangkok several months ago after my existing mobile was stolen. At the time the iPhone4 was still not officially available in Thailand so what I purchased was one origially from the USA and it was unlocked so I could use it PAYG with the local 1 to Call provider.

I arrived back in the UK a month or so ago and switched my PAYG SIM card to my Orange PAYG one which the Thai people had cut down for me free. It worked well and I have no problems.

However everytime I plug it in to my PC it tells me that new software is available but I don't download this as I have been told it will relock my phone. Is this true or just scareware. The problem I would have if it was relocked is that I have no idea who the original provider would have been in the USA and I don't want to end up with the preverbial block of glass.

Any help would be much appreciated. I really don't use my phone much in the UK and I don't want to enter into any contracts.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Look on your iPhone for an App called Cydia. If you find this app on your iPhone it's most probably Jailbroken and Sim Unlocked.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Hi Beta
Yes there is an application called Cydia on my phone but I already knew my phone was jailbroken. What I really wanted to know is what would happen if I updated to the latest apple software as I have no idea which phone company in the USA the phone would have been connected with.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

You'd loose your Sim-Unlock. My advise is do not upgrade until there is an untethered Jailbreak and Sim-Unlock for iOS 4.2.1

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Greenp0sion Jailbreak now available for 4.2.1. If you keep your baseband at 1.59 you will also be able to use the UltaSn0w Sim unlock with the new firmware.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

iOS 4.3 available. If you run a software unlock as you most probably know do not upgrade.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...