We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is write caching 'on'-necessary on a hard drive?

theDarkness

Likes # 0

In all my connected hard drives 'properties>policies' options, I can choose to enable or disable hard drive caching. Windows states that when on, the drive may perform better, at the expense of potentially lost data, if a computer power problem/loss occured whilst writing or reading. With my windows hard drive, I have a partition with my documents, so therefore the drive is split into two. I have noticed that I can even switch caching on or off on either partition individually, despite being on the same hard drive.

What I am wondering is how much of a performance difference in general caching can really make? In windows caching is always set to being on, but I have decided to switch it off, particulary for my usb hard drives, so that I can disconnect at any time safely whilst not in use. Should I see a big difference in performance if my windows partition's caching option is permanently off? At the moment I see nothing, but then I do not use many programs that require great performance. Would that be the only way to notice a difference? If so then I will leave the option off on all hard drives. Does anyone even bother changing their hard drives caching option? Thanks for any help/info they can add to this topic :)

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

If true then that makes the statement in Windows false i.e. that having write caching ON is MORE risky !

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

With the caching on, windows will always finish saving to a harddrive before it shuts down, with it Off, this protection is not offered and it is possible to lose data and/ or corrupt your hard drive.
Terry

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I would rather ensure the integrity of my data than have a hardly noticeable (if at all) increase in data read writes

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

I had my (rather old) desktop system on for a fair while in my test - but with a day or more of usage, I can now definately state that for the windows drive with write caching off, the system eventually became much slower. Most noticable when trying to do too many things at once. By default for the windows drive (and any other internal drive), caching is always on, so I will leave it on.

I think for any usb external hard drives, I will leave caching off however, as accidentally pulling the cable out at the wrong moment and losing data is just too risky (at least, around here it is anyway-and Im much more likely to do that than to "accidentally" pull any pc mains plug out to lose any internal hard drive data). coincidentally, in xp it would seem that by default, write caching for usb drives is normally off anyway. Perhaps I shouldnt ask too many questions or go changing too many settings! thanks

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Windows will complete the writing of data before shutting down whether caching is on or off.

The problem comes with an unexpected power outage. If the data has been cached i.e. not written to the drive ,it will be lost.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...