We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Camera for taking pictures of cats

pictureme

Likes # 0

at the moment i use a Sony cybershot p12 that i have had for a few years now, but it isn't giving me the type of picture that i am looking for. I use the pictures to advertise my cats and kittens and to put onto my webstie as i am a pedigree cat breeder and getting good picutres are not so good with this camera. i am looking for something to take moving pictures as they are always playing and on the move, something that the flash dosen't make them shut their eyes when taking the picture. budget about £300 if possible and looking at the Nikon and Fujifilm digital cameras nothing too flash but will catch detail in new born kittens and will take good movement picutres and videos.
Can anyone advice me please on what ones would do the job.
thanks
Angie

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

The reason you are getting pictures of your cats with their eyes shut is that you have the anti Red Eye function turned on. This gives a preflash just before the main flash fires resulting in cats shutting eyes. Turn it off and you should be OK. By the time the cat reacts to the flash the picture will already have been taken.

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

In normal daylight or room lighting take the photos with no flash using a higher ASA number
Then brighten the images in an image editor.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

The camera you have is more than ideal, if all you're doing is placing the photos on the web.

Maybe you should think more about your technique.

Flash is not ideal for this type of photography, but I would not go Jacks way of upping the ISO as this will introduce noise into the picture.

Such as a pair these click here with the light bounced of the ceiling/walls should solve all your problems apart from the video aspect

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

suggested by hss.
But low rez web pix should be OK.
Turn off the Flash - or mask it with tissue paper
If in a well day lighted room - a large piece of white card or similar angled from source to subject is another way of getting more light onto the subject.
Another way using materials to hand- a couple of halogen desk lamps.
The object of the exercise which ever way you go is to get the animal used to the brighter light source.

Like this post
Graham.

Likes # 0

The only thing you need is lots of patience. When I go round to fosterers to photograph their cats and kittens for our website, they encourage them to jump about and play. I explain I want them still and looking appealing. I give them time to settle down and get used to me being there. And the cats.

Some views here click here and visit other pages.

Like this post
pictureme

Likes # 0

What about using a Fujifilm f300exr some say it's a good camera others ay the picutre isn't that good qaulity in taking pic of cats moving. what do you think?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

EE brings 4G LTE to Cornwall and a total of 21 new towns

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks