We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ringing USA

1st spring

Likes # 0

I would like to ring a friend who has gone on holiday to the USA. I use Post Office phone which allows me to ring mobiles for free at the weekend but I was wondering if I rang 02 mobile in the US would it deduct any money off their phone, as I have read once where it also charges the receiver.

Like this post
undyer

Likes # 0

Most North American carriers charge for incoming calls. You should also check that your "FREE" call will be free if ringing a "roamer".

Like this post
1st spring

Likes # 0

Thank you for the info I never knew. I have rang many a time before to the US thinking it was completely free. I wonder if the other person found out. I do not know what you mean by roamer. If you reply to roamer I will close after that. TYank you very much.

Like this post
undyer

Likes # 0

I should have clarified that only Mobile (cell phone) carriers charge for incoming calls, anyone who takes a cell phone - mobile phone outside of its normal area is classified as "roaming" i.e, he is using another provider's network and is charged for that.

Like this post
undyer

Likes # 0

I had a look online at O2 Roaming charges and it appears that your friend will get stung with €1.09 PER MINUTE charges if you call him!

Like this post
1st spring

Likes # 0

Thank you so much for your info. Before I finish would they get charged if they had go to Europe (Spain)? How did you find this info out? Would I have to put in 02 roaming charge?

Like this post
1st spring

Likes # 0

Last time promise. Is this the same if I ring USS Europe land lines? Thank you

Like this post
undyer

Likes # 0

I used Google, and yes, as far as I know roaming(incoming) charges apply all over Europe (maybe not as much as €1.09) but still pretty steep, althoug the EU is cracking down on these extortionate charges by Mobile providers.

If you mean US/Europe landlines then no - no charges!

You threw me there, I thought you meant a United States ship called USS Europe, lol!

Like this post
undyer

Likes # 0

Just another point - most North American Mobile providers also charge a connection fee to mobiles on their own network. So If you call an American or Canadian mobile phone THEY will also have to pay to receive your call, I think it's about 25 cents a minute but don't quote me on that!

Like this post
1st spring

Likes # 0

yes, as far as I know roaming(incoming) charges apply all over Europe.

Do not understand this. Does this mean if I except a call from a Mobile I will have to pay to be connected by my mobile and land line?

Like this post
undyer

Likes # 0

I'm not sure what you mean now, if you take your mobile abroad you will pay to receive calls. You will not be charged on your landline for receiving calls from mobiles which are abroad/

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer