We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sim card in a basic phone to a more modern one

Nuneatonian

Likes # 0

Hi all
I am thinking of upgrading to a more modern phone. I have always had a Nokia basic model, just for phone calls and text, not one with internet camera, mps etc. If I got a more modern phone could I use my same sim for this, it would be the same network?

Thank you
Nuneatonian

Like this post
undyer

Likes # 0

Only if it is an "unlocked" phone.

Like this post
undyer

Likes # 0

If you get one on the same network, no problem!

Like this post
undyer

Likes # 0

If you get one on the same network, no problem!

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I have had a company phone now for 5yrs which came with basic nokia I now have the same sim in a Samsung U900 and it will do everything except picture messaging but I'm sure if it had ben my own sim I could have phoned O2 and got that switched on.

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

My old o2 sim been going for over 10 years and now using it in an iPhone with no problems.

Like this post
HXP

Likes # 0

Original sim cards were 16k and the newer ones are 32k - this makes a difference to the number of text messagaes (sms ) or contacts that can be stored on the sim - apart from that as long as you get an unlocked phone or a phone on the specific network your phone is on it should be fine.

You can store contacts and texts direct on your handset and although I back it up I like the security of having my important contacts on both the sim and the phone.

I would suggest you add a data bundle to your package otherwise data - which most smart phones eat a lot of can be costly.

If it's of any help I have just started using the HTC Desire and it is fantastic - as is the HTC wildfire - loads of free apps and a great user interface.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

As far as I know some modern phones have different size sim cards so whether your old one would fit in a new phone I know not.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ok looks like tha majority of phones use the same size of sim card.
The mini sim card must be the new one out.

There are three different sizes of SIM cards, all serving the same purpose in different types of phones. The original SIM standard resembles a plastic credit card and is used today mainly in satellite phones. Mini SIM cards are about 1/6 the size of a credit card. These SIM cards are the type used in most cell phones. A newer standard suitable for smaller mobile devices is Micro SIM, which is about 1/12 the size of a credit card.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

The new iPhone 4 uses a Micro SIM card. I just cut up my old Orange work sim with a pair of scissors and placed in the handset.

Bingo.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...