We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

hdmi output from computer to hdmi tv

Migwell

Likes # 0

I have a HP computer with hdmi output and want to show a dvd and video files played on the computer, showing on the hdmi tv. I have connected the computer to the tv with a hdmi cable but all I get on the tv is the picture of my computer desktop, no icons or moving picture. What do I need to do to make this work.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

My PC is similar spec to yours (mines a Compaq),

I will have a go at this later this afternoon, Been wanting to try this for ages.

Been suffering from Chest infection, Flu & Tonsillitis, Antibiotics now kicking in feeling better slowly as days go by.

David.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Which program are you using to play the dvd and video files?

Like this post
Migwell

Likes # 0

Hi Lazarus The 2nd

I hope you are feeling better each day.
The prog I am using to play the DVD is Windows media player. Now I have the picture as I want it seems hard to be so near and yet so far away by not having the sound as well. I know it is not the end of the world but you expect that things should just work without all this trouble in having to force the issue.

Thanks I wish you good luck in finding a solution, it's just about had me pulling my hair out by the roots.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Took me about ten minutes to sort it out, It's easy when you think about it.

Right, Here goes,

Right mouse click the Speaker System Icon (Bottom right, next to Digital Clock System Icon).

Click Playback Devices, Your default device should be Speakers.

Have a look in the List for your TV (Mine is listed as 19W_LCD_TV_2), Click the Device wich is your TV, Then click on the Set Default button, then click OK.

I also had to set it in WMP as well,

Run WMP, click Tools, Options..., Click Devices Tab, Click Speakers, Click Properties Button, If it is set to your TV just click OK Button, if it is set to something else, Mine was set to Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio), Just click on the Box under Select the audio device, scroll through the devices and select Your TV, This click here is a picture of my setting for the TV, Click OK Button, Click the OK Button, That's it, the Sound will come through the TV (Not the PC Speakers).

Happy listening.

If it don't work, Come back here and we will sort something else out, Either by Email or Phone if you prefer.

David.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

The stage where I said 'That's it', Forgot to say, Quit WMP and restart it, Then, That's it, the Sound will come through the TV (Not the PC Speakers).

David.

Like this post
Migwell

Likes # 0

Hi Lazarus The 2nd

I have tried what you said but still nothing at the TV speakers.

I right clicked on the speaker on the bottom bar, then on playback devices it only showes the connections for connecting the usual 5.1 / 2.1 and 7.1 speeker sets under the heading of (Jack Information)

After going into windows media player / tools / options / devices all that is listed is:

CD

Display and Speakers.

If I D/Click on that it then asks which of the following three choices do I want.
1.Dafault Adio Device or
2.Realtek Digital output or
3.Speakers (Realtek High Def Adio).

Using the default I get sound on my computer speakers but not on the tv.
Neither of the other two give me any sound at all.

I don't find my Samsung TV listed any where.

Thanks for your help, sory it took so long to get back to you but having Grand kids visiting has held things up a bit.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

From your list it looks like you do not have drivers for the HDMI installed.

Go to the HP web site or the manufacturer of your Video card and see it you can find new or update drivers. You should have in the list HDMI high definition audio device.

Like this post
Migwell

Likes # 0

I have tried loading the latest drivers from HP and still nothing with the sound. I am now so fed up I am going to give it a rest for a while and make other enquiries shortly. Thanks to every one for the help, if I get any where I will come back and let you know. In the mean time thanks again Migwell

P.S. I am not going to tick this as resolved yet, wwho knows what I might find out.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Just been looking at your System Information above, Specifically the second part,

Theses bits,

1. NVIDIA GeForce G210
Video Card Chip Type GeForce G210
Video Card Memory 512.00 MB
Video Card BIOS Version 70.18.9.0.10
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
Driver Version 8.17.11.9793, 5-21-2010

2. Sound Card
Realtek High Definition Audio
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\rtkvhd64.sys
Driver Version 6.0.1.5938, 9-15-2009
NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvhda64v.sys
Driver Version 1.0.0.59, 8-21-2009

Your Realtek High Definition Audio Device Driver is a Year out of Date.

Either update with HP Update Prog or Download from this click here

Click on this bit on the page above
>> High Definition Audio Codecs (Software)

Tick the Box "I accept to the above."

Click Next Box,

It's the R2.54 you want,

Either

Vista, Windows7 Driver (32/64bits) Driver only (Executable file) 2010/11/5 79086k (Click any one of the) GO to Download

or

Vista, Windows7 Driver (32/64bits) Driver only (ZIP file) 2010/11/5 79612k (Click any one of the) GO

You might need to Allow Popups on the Site to get the Drivers.

David.

Like this post
Migwell

Likes # 0

Hi Lazarus The 2nd

Update

Thanks for your last imput I followed your instructions and was more success ful at downloading the correct driver for my computer as you recomended. This was installed, and the Samsung TV then showed up in the selection, at last but when I clicked on the test button after making the Samsung the default for sound I can see an the graf the sound being played but alas still no sound.

I was in my local computer shop earlier today looking for some speakers and askey the assistant about the problem I am having with none sound onto the TV and he thought that there might ba a connection missing fron the sound to the video card. After looking at the video card in the computer I cant see any place for a cable to connect. So still no further on

Thanks again Migwell

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room