We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PAYG Contract Roaming Italy Student

AFoxyLady

Likes # 0

My student son has an orange contract, which I pay through my bank account. The contract is in his name, and he has just re-newed.

He has just graduated and has been offered an EU Funded trip to Italy. He flies out on 18th October, and returns just before Christmas.

What is the best option for him. I have told him he is not to actually "use" his phone when abroad, as it is going to cost for him to send text messages, and also to receive any phone calls, but I want/ need to have contact with him in an emergency.

What is the best option?
1/ Buy a cheap payg phone here in the uk, and get an Italian SIM card over there?
2/ Buy a cheap payg phone here and get a UK sim card - is there one that can do roaming?
3/ Skype phone?

I don't know anything about the Skype phones, but it is something he has thought about.

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tessa

Like this post
User-1619003

Likes # 0

I'm sure he'll have a whale of a time, you, on the other hand, are going to be wondering what he's up to!!! LOL!

Like this post
AFoxyLady

Likes # 0

Undyer

Thanks everso for all your pointers - To me it sounds like you have been in my situation!

Son now on way to Rome,then off to Sciliy where he is staying. Added roaming to his orange contract for £5 for a month, which will allow him to receive calls at no extra cost. Making calls (dare he!) is at a reduced rate. However, he did tell me he was shopping for a Lebara card........ here in the UK on Saturday, not sure if he did get one though.

He has a few Euros in cash, but also has a Post Office pre paid "credit card" which has Euros on it, and can be topped up from here, by Mum!

Like this post
User-1619003

Likes # 0

If he is going to carry cash around - buy him a Money Belt and buy Euros here before he goes, try not to use a Credit Card either for purchases and especially not for a cash advance. If he needs to change money use only banks, never the little "Cambio" outlets on every street!

Like this post
AFoxyLady

Likes # 0

Undyer

Thanks everso for all you info. Trying to remember simple things like adapter plugs - they are very easily forgotten, especially by.........

He is a lucky lad - wish I was going to Italy for a couple of months, expenses paid!

Like this post
User-1619003

Likes # 0

Here is a photo of the 3 Pin adapter plug, but note that it will not fit older 2 Pin sockets.

Like this post
User-1619003

Likes # 0

He'll need at least one adapter to plug his charger into Italian socket - confusinglyly they have two types of socket one with 2 pins and one with 3 ( He may have to buy a 3 pin one locally if they use that where he is going. A good idea is to get a round 2 pin shaver adapter here before he goes - or buy an international adapter set here (he might still need to get a 3 pin one in Italy - I DID!!)

Like this post
User-1619003

Likes # 0

'nother afterthought, If you get the Orange "contract" phone unlocked you should be able to use a payg SIM card in it and have the Orange SIM as an emergency standby until returning to UK.

Like this post
User-1619003

Likes # 0

An afterthought, If you go down the UK SIM card route whether Lebara or another one don't forget the possibility of topping it up for the "travelling son" in your local Tesco and texting him the code number to input the top up.

Like this post
AFoxyLady

Likes # 0

Once again, thanks for all the info and help. I have been looking at the Lebara card, and think we might go for that. There are numerous sites that do comparisons, but you have to read it all very carefully, and what looks like a good deal, has hidden charges!

I have checkd my own orange mobile and for £5 for a 30 day period, I can add roaming, which would allow free calls in, and a reduced fee for making calls. I have tasked said son to do more research and find out whats going to be availble where he is going! Also given him a heads up on the internet cafe policy.

Like this post
User-1619003

Likes # 0

Helpful info, in English, for TIM Italy (think they are the largest service provider)

click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes