We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Photo Paper

OTT_B

Likes # 0

Since I've upgraded my camera and printer, it's probably about time to think about using some halfway decent photo paper. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I need A4 size for photo's to be printed and hung round the house.

If it makes a difference (which I've found a couple of sites that says it does), the printer is a Canon MX870.

Like this post
donki

Likes # 0

If you are putting your prints behind glass use matt paper or IMO lustre/silk/pearl (all the same) paper is better quite exspensive. Gloss paper can sometimes be a hinderance depending where is is you are viewing the picture but will retain good contrast/colour/detail.

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

A glossy paper is available for laser printers from the likes of the chain stationers
click here=
and Rymans
But this paper is simply a glossy finish - like magazine paper so no risk of damage to the fuser unit.
But
None of them will actually deliver a glossy print.
This is because of the way photogrphic printers & inkjet wor,k in the case of photographic printers the emulsion is incorporated in the glossy layer, with ink jets the glossy layer is permeable so the ink passes through.
A laser is different that it actually dumps the toner powder onto the paper and is then burnt onto the surface therefore covering the glossy paper.
The best way out of this is IMHO is to laminate the finished prints.

Like this post
David4637

Likes # 0

Refresh

Like this post
David4637

Likes # 0

Can someone recommend a glossy type of paper that works in a Colour Samsung Laser jet printer, without destroying it. Photocopy paper just does not look as good as glossy - so I could use it for photo printing.
Thanks David

Like this post
jack

Likes # 0

Colour laser print no end.
I gave up Photo inkjet printing because of high costs[Including CISS] and general messiness- deciding instead to use a colour laser for run of the mill stuff and obtaining Photoprints from the likes of Boots or PhotoBox in larger sizes are needed
However I found that printing on so called
'Laser Gloss' [which is a type of glossy magazine paper]
Then laminating them- gives quite a decent quality .

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Don't think so.
I have an inkjet printed sign on my front door, and even though it's laminated only lasts a few months before it fades.
It all depends on how much light is falling on it.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Just to add, whatever photo paper you buy, get a decent laminator, laminate the photos, and will last a lifetime and beyond.
click here

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

Hi folks,
thanks for your responses. I eventually went for Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss, 290GSM. Ordered a 100 A4 sheet box from Premier Ink & Photographic (click here)for £31.71 including delivery.

Very good price (I think!) and quick delivery, but it has to be said that packaging could have been better. One corner of the box got partly crushed in the post and has consequently damaged the top sheet of photo paper - not serious and i'm not going to complain about it, but if the box damage had been much worse then it could have been a different story.

Time to get on with test prints now!!

Like this post
^wave^

Likes # 0

look at permajet paper or kodak

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I use Staples Photo Plus Pearl.(With a Canon MP640)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia