We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win 7 Cant Find TV Signal

belcanto

Likes # 0

Hi all, I have a Packard bell SmartTV media centre that has 1.5gb memory, Ati X600 PCI-E graphics card, 320gb hard drive and twin Asus hybrid pci tv cards.

For some reason despite scanning time and time again, Win Media Centre 7 can find channels but no signal. I have a dvb-t ariel (not the usual tiny one supplied) but it still cant get any freeview, though it can find analogue which is terrible to view.

What am I doing wrong, be greatful for any ideas out there

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Have you tried with your roof aerial? I would try a TV first on your PC aerial socket to ensure you really do have a good signal. I have my PC upstairs and put in a dedicated loft aerial above the room where the PC is.I also have TV dongle with a laptop and I keep a short aerial lead with it and use a roof aerial socket when possible.

Like this post
belcanto

Likes # 0

PS: should add that i have tried to use both Total Media and MediaPortal to the same affect. Dont really want to reinstall win7, so I hope someone can help...

Like this post
belcanto

Likes # 0

Dear all, resolved it so far by buying an amplified INDOOR arial and some careful repositioning of it..not got all the channels and picture a bit fuzzy, so will re-scan later on tonight..

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Can you get a good picture on a digital TV in your room? It is unlikely without a higher aerial as BRINIT says. Cant you run a coax on the outside to a higher point? To establish it one way or the other , could a top floor tennant allow you to try upstairs?

Like this post
belcanto

Likes # 0

I have been able to get a signal here in the bed room with a usb dvb-t dongle before. Maybe I should rip out the pci, sell them and get usb or a set-top box instead. What do people think?

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

"I also live in a basement flat so a roof Ariel is out"

If you live in a basement flat the odds on getting a good enough signal without an external aerial are going to be very slim.

Like this post
belcanto

Likes # 0

The media centre is in the bedroom, I also live in a basement flat so a roof Ariel is out, plus I don't really want more cables than necessary.

I see Argos dvb-t arials for 10.00, do you reckon I should try that? What's frustrating is that my Tv cards and win7 media centre have worked before in terms of a signal with current ariel

Like this post
belcanto

Likes # 0

The media centre is in the bedroom, I also live in a basement flat so a roof Ariel is out, plus I don't really want more cables than necessary.

I see Argos dvb-t arials for 10.00, do you reckon I should try that? What's frustrating is that my Tv cards and win7 media centre have worked before in terms of a signal with current ariel

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide