We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Running Sky and Freesat at the same time

Big Trev

Likes # 0

I am currently a Sky subscriber with a regukar Sky box in one room and a Sky+ box in the other. I pay an extra £10 per month for multiroom.

I am thinking of changing to Freesat, but while I can afford a regular Freesat box, a Freesat+ box, which allows recording, pausing etc of live TV is a little beyond reach at the moment.

Would it be possible to replace the regular Sky box with a Freesat box and keep Sky +, thereby cancelling the Sky multiroom option?

The aim would be to be able to watch different programmes in each room, as well as saving some money.

Thanks.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

You can cancel the multiroom, how easy it would be is difficult to say.

All paid fore sky channels would be blocked but your standard sky box should be able to receive most of the free view channels if not all.

If sky completely cancel the card you may have to get a free view card so you can view channel 5 and one or two other channels.

You shouldn't need to buy a freesat box unless you want the HD channels or your sky box needs replacing.

Like this post
Big Trev

Likes # 0

Sorry brynit, just so I'm clear, are you saying I can use the Sky box to receive Freview?

If so, can I also use the Sky+ box to pick up Freeview and still record programmes etc (I'm not interested in HD, particularly)?

If the answer to the foregoing is "yes", where do I get a Freeview card?

Thanks.

Like this post
Big Trev

Likes # 0

A correction. In all the foregoing when I said Freeview, what I really meant was Freesat.

Don't know if it makes a difference.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Must check my spelling should have been Freesat.

Freeview is via aerial.

Freesat is via Sat dish.

Bothe gives free to air channel I think the Freesat gives a few more.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Should have said. If you remove the sky card it will give you an idea of the channels available if the card is fully cancelled.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm not sure about this but if you cancel your subscription to Sky then the Sky+ box will no longer record.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

And you won't be able to watch any programs already recorded on it.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

He's not cancelling Sky, nor getting rid of Sky+, just getting rid of multiroom and an ordinary Sky box.

I can't answer the question, but at the moment neither is anybody else!

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

If you have a current Sky subscription that has run for longer than 12 months then you can cancel giving 30 days notice.

If you cancel all of your Sky subscriptions then the two boxes you have will revert to Freesat from Sky which is the same as Freesat but with a few additional channels (like FIVE USA) that are FTV (ie Free to View but not Free to Air as in FTA).

If you cancel a subscription including Multiroom then you would have two independent Freesat from Sky receivers.

Sky+ equipment works fully if you have a valid Sky subscription. If you cancel Sky then you loose the ability to record and playback any material including that recorded before you cancelled.

So the move to Freesat from Sky is free and you would wouldn't need any extra equipment. It also saves you your subscription and gives some extra channels over Freesat.

Cancelling Multiroom would leave your second receiver as a Freesat from Sky receiver - you'd loose all the paid for channels.

Like this post
Tim1964

Likes # 0

We have the same set up that the OP is after.
Sky HD downstairs, standard Sky+ box in my daughter's room. We no longer pay the £10/month for multiroom but she can still use the record/pause/rewind on it and TBH hasn't missed the channels she used to have on it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow