We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Freeview reception poor after digital switchover

CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

Ever since the analogue signal was turned off, I have had problems with my Freeview digibox.

Every day I have to retune it as otherwise some channels go missing.

Recently they haven't come back even after retuning namely channel 30 (Fiver) and channel 82 (Sky News)

Before this happened I used to get messages on screen like 'bad signal' and 'no signal'

Any idea why this could be happening ?

Some channels have both high signal strength and signal quality whilst others are very low which results in the picture and sound breaking up.

Before anyone says that I need to buy a digital aerial, this aerial was working fine until the digital switchover.

Does anyone else get this ?

Would a signal booster help ?

My Freeview digibox is a Panasonic DMR-EZ25

Cheers.

p.s. I miss Sky News as I was a regular 'Jeff Randall Live' viewer :(

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

You have to remember that the analogue and digital signals are in the same frequency band, but that there is a disparity between the signal strengths.

Putting an amplifier in to boost the possibly weak digital signal also amplifies the analogue signal which may well be much stronger and overload the amplifier.

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 0

Just wait till they switch on 4G. An 'insignificant minority' of customers will no longer be able to receive Freeview due to interference.

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

onionskin Just wait till they switch on 4G. An 'insignificant minority' of customers will no longer be able to receive Freeview due to interference.

If true then I'll have to go back to Sky as I couldn't be without TV altogether !

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

Watch new Grolsch ad that combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015