We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

£100 prepay phone

VNAM75

Likes # 0

Which is the best prepay phone you can get for £100? I've looked and the Samsung Monte seems to be the best one in terms of features and style.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

Contrary to what I wrote in a previous thread, the Monte I just got is rubbish (i've had time to use it a lot more now). Seriously. I would advise against getting one - but then of course there's a lot to do with expectations as well.

I can't say what alternatives there are in that price range, but I'm getting rid of mine in the very near future (either for a Windows Phone 7 or HTC Legend)

Like this post
VNAM75

Likes # 0

OTT_B, do you mean its rubbish compared to phones like the htc legend? You can't really compare those 2 because the htc is double or triple the price? The samsung is rated high (for its price) because its got features that other phones in the same price bracket haven't got such as a capacitive screen.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

No, sorry, I should have been more clear on my assessment.
My issue with the phone is with its fundamental usability. Even what should be simple tasks like text messaging are an ergonomic nightmare.

There are also issues with additional 'features' of the phone, for example the GPS. The most accurate I've had it working to could only give a location to within 1600m! A complete waste of time.

My list of complaints continues, but I won't go into it now. The upshot is that the ergonomics (which don't relate to price) are very poor, and the technical operation of the phone (which does partly relate to price) makes it unusable.
As I wrote in my review of this phone on a review site (not yet published), it's too much of a half way house between a normal mobile and a smart phone, as a consequence nothing works properly.

The reason for going up in cost significantly to the Legend or similar, is because it seems that cheap smartphones don't work.

Like this post
VNAM75

Likes # 0

Oh, thats put me off then! I did hear about the gps being inaccurate in a review. I know someone who has just recently bought one so I'll ask him about it.

Like this post
Zorst

Likes # 0

I have the Samsung Monte and I would have to disagree with OTT_B. The text messaging is extremely easy to use and the touch screen is far better and more accurate than other phones in this price range. The GPS on my phone is pretty accurate although it won't compete with my satnav (it's much slower to find satellites). It's not perfect but for £100, it's hard to beat. It's a long way from being unusable. As OTT_B says, it depends on your expectations...if you are expecting an iphone, you're going to be disappointed. If you're expecting an LG Cookie, you're going to be delighted.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015