We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

'Robin Hood' on Blu-Ray playback

tigertop2

Likes # 0

I have a Blu-Ray DVD of the new Robin Hood film. For some reason it will run on my Panasonic Blu-Ray DVD player linked to to my Panny TV. However the main film disc will not run on any of the 3 PCs I have which are all fitted with Blu-Ray and run Cyberlink Power DVD 10 Ultra mark 11. however the second disc, 'Director's Cut' runs fine on them as do all other Blu-Rays. I have even tried 'any dvd' but still the same problem. The region set is Europe which is compatible with the DVD. I have updated all drivers. Has anyone else found such a problem and does anyone have any suggestions on what the PCs' problem might be?

The monitors are HDCP capable at 60HZ and in one case at 120HZ. I can understand maybe one PC not playing it for whatever reason but 3 PCs all running Windows 7, 32 Bit and 64 bit. is baffling

I also note other sites report problems of slow loading of this particular DVDand I noticed that on the TV but I am certain that is not behind this problem . Suggestions welcomed

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

I do agree totally with you that these sort of glitches are going to happen. I just think some companies handle them better than others. I did try Slysoft but it is fiddly to use. I want a software programme that is the only default one I need to use. I will stay with Arcsoft for now as it seems the best solution and I know they have upped their game fromam few years ago when it was in the same zone as Cyberlink Incidentally I see Cyberlink have just notified me of a new software update for Power DVD10 Ultra markII. Haven't tried it yet but it might fix the original problem. Thanks for your comments

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

It may well be sloppy software, however you will come across this problem in the future and it will continue to happen.

You mentioned that you tried AnyDVD HD in your top post. This little app circumvents HDCP and most BD Encryption.

Slysoft provide quite a few updates for this program and update regularly. (sometimes even twice a week, take a look at the change log)

If Slysoft have to keep updating their software to keep up with the studios, so do every other manufacturer of Blu-ray Software and Hardware.

Unfortunately thats what we get for Sony releasing a unfinished Format.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

"How can they.?? The studios are constantly changing BD+ protection to fraught piracy, how would Cyberlink know what the studios are going to do next. They would need a crystal ball."

Not so I think. Cyberlink put out a statement to me when I had a problem with their Blu-Ray playback on a Samsung 2233RZ 3D screen. This said that all their current Power DVD10 software was capable of playing all Blurays on this screen. That was nonsense since the screen is set at 120 HZ and is not HDCP compatible for Blu-Ray unless one changes the setting to 60HZ. Which is a bit daft to have to do on a then fairly new screen. Shortly afterwards they issued a patch to cure this problem which as far as I remember did not.

I cannot believe that companies such as Cyberlink do not liase with DVD production teams as both bodies lose out if you cannot use the software. I just think it is sloppy software
checking before it is released. Arcsoft has got the matter in hand with 'Robin Hood' and
its built in internet link. Cyberlink seem oblivious to what is happening around them

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

"I am as mad as a rattlesnake on a hot tin roof at Cyberlink's continuing inability to get launch software right first time"

How can they.?? The studios are constantly changing BD+ protection to fraught piracy, how would Cyberlink know what the studios are going to do next. They would need a crystal ball.

You have the same problem on under the TV Blu-ray Players, however in this care you have to wait for a firmware update.

Take a look at this thread with the OP having the same problem. click here

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

I have just tried the 15 day trial version of Arcsoft Total Theatre 3, Platinum version.

It played 'Robin Hood' perfectly on two of my PCs and I think it will be OK on my third. As the Platinum version supports 3D I will check that side out. If it works OK I will go for it as it seems a lot less hassle than dealing with Cyberlink's totally useless tech department.

I am as mad as a rattlesnake on a hot tin roof at Cyberlink's continuing inability to get launch software right first time.

Like this post
RoastedPuma

Likes # 0

tigertop2, I got the same reply from Universal Studio today.

Cyberlink is frustrating. Maybe its time to change to a different software...

Like this post
jfell-1620020

Likes # 0

my blu-ray is working properly.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Universal studios who issued the 'Robin Hood' DVD movie have now confirmed to me that the playback on Blu-Ray is a Cyberlink software problem. They have been in touch with Cyberlink who 'hope' to issue a corrective patch next week.

Yet again Cyberlink caught with their pants down on their software releases. They made a complete nonsense on Blu-ray play back on their Power DVD 10 software and tried to pretend it was OK before releasing an urgent patch. Now this. One wonders if anyone in Cyberlink is checking on their developement labs in Korea before issuing software

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

Thanks, RoastedPuma. I suspect we may have to go to Universal's Public Relations people in the end but appreciate your action.

Like this post
RoastedPuma

Likes # 0

Alright. Have just contacted them. Lets see if they respond

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes