We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) on a Telly

Proclaimer

Likes # 0

I am looking at New TV's and they boast Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) capability. I asked the assistant in the shop about that and he informed me I can watch things on BBC iPlayer for example on the TV.

I asked how that worked, do I need to use my PC to access the BBC iPlayer then somehow stream that to the TV, or do I search for content straight from the TV to the BBC iPlayer or what?

He didn't really know. So, has anyone got a 'big telly with DLNA' and do they know what it can and can't do?

Do I need a NAS Device to store digital media on in order to access it or does it actually 'go online'?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I think it is a connectivity standard - a bit like USB - every thing is supposed to be able to talk to each other. From what I have read it doesn't. All my stuff is too old to be on that standard.
If you download the user manual for one of the TVs it might tell you, or at least give you a hint of what it is, the website is as clear as mud click here .

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

I have a Samsung UE46C8000 which has DLNA. I can stream Videos and Images direct to the TV via any PC or Laptop running WMP12.

The TV also has it's own built in apps like BBC iPlayer, Facebook, LoveFilm etc.

click here

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

When you say you can stream them from any PC, does that mean any PC connected to the Router on the Home Network?

The 'Internet@TV', I guess that is what allows apps like BBC iPlayer, Facebook and LoveFilm. How do you interact with them or select what you want to watch?

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Yes the TV is connected to my Home Network via it's Ethernet Port.

You use the Remote to access "Internet@TV".

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features