We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

charged for using home wifi router on O2 mobile :(

theDarkness

Likes # 0

I have a talktalk router, its set up correctly. I have an O2 pay as you go phone, and only use it for the net and texts - its set up to use my router as its only method of internet connection. BUT! after my 500 free texts ran out each month, I noticed my balance in a minute change from £9.30 or so, down to £0.00.

So my sim thinks its using the O2 internet service at all times, even when its not, and defintately using my always free home router. There seems to be no way to solve it other than by changing sim or (if nothing works) changing phone. I think its a sim fault, as although the router is my main net choice in my phone net options, I cannot delete the O2 wap net options.

Has anyone come across this before?

Like this post
Mading11

Likes # 0

Yes, same problem with a Sony Ericsson W995 on 3 Network uk. I had to login to my 3 account and disable internet access. Then it connected normally (and free!) to wifi.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

glad to hear you managed to fix the problem :)

Ive managed to register online with the o2 mobile website, but aside from finding out that o2 have now increased their text messages from 10p to 12p, there seems to be no way of disabling any net access at all. All the tariffs offered online that I can change to at the click of a button all seem to have net access :( I might have to try emailing them to see if they can bar net access on my number. Its probably not likely if its not possible online, but its good to know that 3 do offer such a service. thanks! :)

Like this post
HXP

Likes # 0

You should be able to go into the phone setting - probably under networks - find the O2 APN settings and overtype them or delete a couple of the APN characters and that will stop the phone using the GPRS ( data ) network.

If you advise type of phone I might be able to tell you where in your phone settings it is

Like this post
HXP

Likes # 0

Just read that you advise you can't overtype APN which means the phone must be locked to O2 - if you get it unlocked you should be able to do as above - still a bit surprised you can't overtype - can you create a new apn with incorrect settings and set that as default ?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Samsung's best ever smartphones...

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks