We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

what free apps do you use

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

gearing up to my venture into buying a smartphone.

what free apps do you use on your phone?

please show a link if possible.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I abandoned Navigator after it failed to pick up the data. My TomTom is more reliable.

Don't know how to resolve the street view issue.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

thats what i have, there are new updates to it almost weekly. The maps are ok but street view is no good in sat nav mode.

because without warning the map goes off and a still of google street view comes on [a still not moving picture] which is either a quart mile forward or behind where you are, would be better if a moving picture, the still also hangs around too long which is a real pain when coming up to a roundabout and you want to see which turning on the map to leave with only the voice to go with.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

This is what I use click here. It states beta but doesn't seem to be beta on my phone. It also appeared when I updated from 2.1 to 2.2. It is quite good but useless when it cannot get a data connection. I did a comparison with the TomTom and the phone on together one day. It was great getting to the destination and the phone was just as good as the TomTom. However for the return journey I waited and waited for the phone to find its data and then gave up as TomTom was up and ready.

I have the opposite problem as I find it very difficult to get street view and don't know what I'm doing right or wrong.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

uses android 2.2.

the trouble with google maps is it keeps changing from maps to google street view, which is always a bit out. Is there a way to turn the street view bit off?

i have the google voice search and voice keyboard apps

Like this post
JohnCena83

Likes # 0

I use Spy Phone Software.

[click here Mobile Spy]

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Navigation uses Google Maps.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Which version of Android are you on?
I have the Samsung Galaxy S running Android 2.2 this has Navigation as an app also voice search and voice dial. I find Navigation to be quite good but not quite TomTom standard.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

what free sat nav app do you use?

I have google maps, but when i tried it out over a 9 mile trip was not very impressed, do you know any better free ones.

my tomtom is old and on its last legs hoping to use the apps as a replacement

Like this post
HXP

Likes # 0

Desire £400
Wildfire £230

Access to thousands of apps ( lots free ) Brillinat free sat nav.

click here

click here

I have the Desire it does pretty much everything.

Anroid is in my opinion the way to go - see review on P C Advisor

click here

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

The latest freebie saves me £5 a month, this is what Vodafone were charging for SatNav on my Nokia 5800, but now all Nokia maps are free for certain models.

Also now you can get Spotify mobile but they charge as much as on the regular web, no free option anymore unless you are an old subscriber like me?!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room