We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

UPDATING TOM TOM ONE

geek84

Likes # 0

Hi Folks

I bought a Tom Tom One about 3 years ago. Is it necessary to 'update' it every now and again, because of route changes (new roads being built every now & again) etc?

If so, how do I go about updating my Tom Tom? The cd that was provided with it does not seem to work properly.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Like this post
Marko797

Likes # 0

u need to download Tom Tom Home from click here

3 years ago is a long time ago so there may be quite a few updates.

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

No its not really necessary, and you do have to pay for the updated maps. The price will depend of which maps you need; e.g; for Western Europe it would be about £50. Only you can decide if its worth it.

It is likely that after 3 years a new operating system, (they call it Navcore), will also be available without charge. All this is done using TomTom "Home" which you should install. The latest maps, in conjunction with the newer operating systems, are improved with Lane Guidance display, which helps at complex junctions.

They also have something called Quickfix, which helps to get quicker fixes on the satellites. No charge for this.

click here

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

I see you have also posted on the dedicated TomTom forum. The advice there is more or less the same as above.

Like this post
geek84

Likes # 0

Hi Folks

I tried to update my Tom Tom this morning and got the following error message-

The internet server has an internal error.

What does that mean? Is there something wrong with the internet connection? If so, I can't see anything wrong, since I have browsed on other websites.

Thanks

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

Did you ever update your device?. Even without paying for newer maps, there certainly would have been a new version of Navcore available.

Newer version of "Home" have been released too; (although I would keep clear of the very latest. Version 2.7.6.2056 seems to be OK).

As regards the server problem, it might be a problem at TomTom`s end. I suggest trying again either later today, or tomorrow, and see what happens.

Like this post
geek84

Likes # 0

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I have had my Tom Tom for 3 years and have never (foolishly) updated it (I don't travel long distances too often).

Anyway, apart from the server problem, there is another pronlem -

The site says I need to pay approx. £39 to have the latest maps on my device. Does that sound right to you or is it a rip off?

Can I download new route maps free from any website?

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

You only "need" to pay anything IF you wish to have new maps; that is your choice. Your device will work fine with the older maps, albeit not with any road changes.

However, you can update the Navcore operating system, and have Quickfix free using "Home".

You cannot obtain free maps because TomTom maps are linked to individual devices, and updates must be paid for.

Like this post
geek84

Likes # 0

Hi Folks

I tried to update my Tom Tom again this morning. I still get the following message on the screen -

The internet server has an internal error.

What does that mean?

My internet seems to be working fine.

Thanks

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

Before you do any changes to the tom-tom I suggest you do a backup of your device as tom-tom is notorious for being corrupted while updating

have a look at the

click here

click here

The website has an extremely helpful forum which deals with just sat navs

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

This is a very common problem with the TomTom site. If you Google "tomtom The internet server has an internal error" you will find numerous examples.

First, as advised, do make a back up!!!. It is best not to use TomTom Home to do this, instead use this method

click here

Keep trying to connect to the TomTom web site, and if the error message persists, contact TomTom support:

0845 161 0009

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more