We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Digital Home & Smartphones Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I really need some help here - SKY HD problems

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I have a Sony Bravia TV, a SKY+ HD receiver, and a DVD player.

The SKY engineer connected everything when he installed the SKY box some time ago. Everything worked perfectly, but last week a burglar alarm installation engineer disconnected the lot, and do you think I can get it all working again?

I can watch TV via the SKY box, but I can record nothing, and if I use the TV controller to switch channels instead of the SKY controller I can then only get the SKY menu - no programs and no sound.

Can anyone tell me how the various aerial/satellite/RF/scart leads should be connected between the three devices?

The TV has two scart sockets.

TV and satellite technology is very definitely not my thing - as my wife keeps reminding me.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Sorry, Not got a HD Sky Box, But these are manuals from three different makers, Hope it helps.

Thomson SKY+ HD Box click here Page 71, Bottom Diagram.

Pace SKY+ HD Box click here Page 72, Top Diagram.

Samsung SKY+ HD Box click here Page 72, Top Left Diagram.

Like this post
anniesboy

Likes # 0

Remember if the TV is HD you need to connect with HDMI leads

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

If you've got all the tv channels you should have I can't think of any reason why you should not be able to record.

I take it you've done a box reset (disconnect, totally, from the mains, wait one minute and re-connect).

DVD player should be connected with a SCART lead (unless it's HD) and the Sky box with an HDMI lead as anniesboy suggests.

Double check that the leads are all fully home, as this can cause the symptoms you describe.

When you get it set up and working again take photographs of the back of each device, and label each lead.

No I'm not being sarcastic, with all the multiple connections these days it's just a sensible precaution.

The last time the Sky engineer changed my box he put the one on top of the other and changed the leads one at a time.

He told me that's by far the only way to ensure he gets it right, and he's a professional!

If all else fails try the Sky Helpline, if you've got half a day to spare!

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Check settings on your remotes. Is the sky one set to Sky not TV. Is the TV one source button set to TV and the DVD one set to DVD. If the source is set wrong on one it can cause all sorts of problems. Especially if like mine the TV and DVD are the same make.

My TV remote can control TV STB VCR CABLE AND DVD by pressing the MODE button. The source button changes from HDMI to AV1 to AV2

Set up should be Sky HDMI cable to TV HDMI DVD scart to TV scart 1 VCR scart to TV scart 2

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Lots of good advice, and I'll work through it all when I have time. I'm sure it's a question of sitting down and concentrating, but I haven't had much time to do that, and my wife is a little tense - she records operas on the SKY arts channel, and can't at the moment.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Your wife doesn't sound like she's the sort of woman who would respond very well to "Calm down, dear" a la Michael Winner, so just keep reminding her that most of the stuff on Sky Arts, is repeated several times for a week or so!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

If I said that the temperature in the room would instantly drop a few degrees.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Have you thought about calling the burlar alarm engineer and asking him to put right what he cocked up.

Like this post
^wave^

Likes # 0

hi this the way i would go
1 remove everything next plug in your ariel lead and get that working i assume you have freeview or still have terestial tv. next sky box you will need one scart and one hdmi connection for it. next put the dvd player in i assume scart if hd version plug in hdmi port.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

wave
you have an aerial lead and an HD lead from the dish into the sky box and there is no need for a scart conection..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...